UK Police Adopt New System to Extract Data from Phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

frombehind

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
I guess warrent-less wiretaps are not enough.... funny thing is even though the police "are now enabled" with technology to catch criminals better, I dont feel any safer.

michalmierzwa

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Yeah, and the next thing on the market will be wireless HDD screening and data mining of suspected crakers or hackers with drive-by technology working with Google cars. LOL

I don't feel safer either.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Simple solution, take the phone apart, then cut some traces for 2 power connectors and 2 data connectors, then taking some thin wire, swap them, then do the same for your charge/sync cable.

then if someone decided to copy your personal info, they will get pretty sparks from the phone instead

modern smartphones often skimp on diodes and other protection circuits in order to reduce the cost and size of the unit, this makes it easier to fry them if power goes in the wrong areas (the only areas with any real protection, are the charging circuits, but send power into one of the data pins and you will quickly begin to fry things in the phone (just fine ones with the least protected paths to any of the memory chips for faster results)

frombehind

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
It is also interesting that this "technology" comes after courts declared that it is unconstitutional to force a person to "unlock" locked parts of their phone so they can searched for criminal activity - 5th amendment.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007

The UK is a little different, they often pioneer the tyranny a few years before it makes it's way to the US, (most of the freedoms lost in the past 30 years, were lost in the UK first, then made their way to the US 3-6 years later)

lahawzel

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
One wonders if said system leaves the phone intact.

It'd be extremely embarassing if nothing incriminating was found and the suspect is acquitted, sans one smartphone from his pockets.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]frombehind[/nom]It is also interesting that this "technology" comes after courts declared that it is unconstitutional to force a person to "unlock" locked parts of their phone so they can searched for criminal activity - 5th amendment.[/citation]
You do realize that the US constitution does not apply to countries that are not the US, right?

G

Lets say i enabled the 10 incoorect trys and my phone auto deletes would that prevent this? Or is it not a brute force attack?

G

Welcome to our future. The Gov. is making sure that going forward into the information age we do not have any "rights" whatsoever. They implement them from the start so that idocratic people can't point to constitution or any other source (every country has some sort of it) and say it’s their right therefor it is not, right? Because every politician of today knows that our generation is to lazy and unwilling to fight for what they believe should be their right so they only live of the rights left over by generations who were willing to fight for them. No offence people but why do I read people respond with "this is unconstitutional" and then hear a response along the line of "that is not in constituting" or "that’s not America so you constitution doesn’t apply". PEOPLE...who gives the F*** if it is in constitution or if UK has one? What you should be asking is: do we AS PEOPLE control the Gov. or does Gov. control us?

Who cares if it’s not in constitution or if there is a Constitution to begin with? IF we as people tell our Gov. we don’t want something then they HAVE TO listen to us since they are elected to do as we tell them, no more no less. But that is only if those demands fare followed by "OR ELSE" and we are ready to see it through.

How come so many let them self being controlled by so few. Why do you think our founding fathers said that if people want to change the constitution at any point they should be able to do so and they have the right to do so? Because who would be able to stop us from doing it anyway? Few ass politicians? WE ARE in control it’s just that they keep most of us in delusion that we have none. So next time someone says it’s not in the constitution or they don’t have one then tell them: SO WHAT!? Since when does WRONG become RIGHT because its not written on a paper or someone 200 years ago didn’t die for it? That’s why this tyranny will continue till they have (thx to technology) the total control over our opinions on everything and we actually are incapable to have independent opinion and the will to fight for what WE think is right.

I have predicted this and 1000 things 20 years ago....I realize how right I was 12 years ago but i would have never thought we would go down w/o a fight. Average person of today will is using his/her RIGHTS as commodity bargaining tool for convenience. I wonder what will happen ones they have run out of rights with which to trade. And while this is sad it is not as sad as how many people will down-rate this comment. I remember how we asked our teacher back in the day as to how it was possible for so many people of one of the most civilized country of that time period to fallow Hitler and only so few seemed to realize and have the guts to resist....well I’m scared that I will get to answer my own question sometime in the future...jet I believe in American spirit, or maybe I too have become delusional. I hope so since the price of me being right would be too great to just being able to say: I told you so.

I don't live in the UK, and I don't think there's anything TOO compromising on my phone, but I sure did just go see what Blackberry models my carrier has... :-\ It's the principle of the thing, d@mm!t!

ik242

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]razor512[/nom]Simple solution, take the phone apart, then cut some traces for 2 power connectors and 2 data connectors, then taking some thin wire, swap them, then do the same for your charge/sync cable...[/citation]

i did this and it was not trivial to say the least. it is simple idea but execution is complicated by small scale of components and PCB traces. this requires skill and tools that are not in everyone's toolbox.

This stuff has been happening in the open market from way back when I used the 8210 and even before. We have contact pads for nearly all makes of phones, why did they think of it now??? Ah... criminals are now using Satphones.... ok. That makes sense..... so basically this stuff is to make the average citizen a little more scared than he already is, next time he ought to be sure not to have pics of his family in the phone or could have really bad charges bought up against him.
This has got to be the height of craziness.
If we don't want you to lay hands on our phones there ain't diddle shit you can do about it without a warrant, you touch my phone and it's invasion of privacy.
Get data out of it "illegally" is data theft......

Status
Not open for further replies.