UK Teen Buys Photo of Xbox One on Ebay for £450

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ssalim

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
Where does it say it's his biological son? Maybe he married an older lady (24 maybe?) whom already had that boy?

Back to topic, he said he read that it's a photo and bought it anyway. That's a bad move.
The seller also shouldn't put these kind of stuff on eBay, it's crap.

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
I'm glad the seller got banned. As much as this guy was an idiot. The seller made a clear violation of ebays rules. You cannot list a photo in the console category. That's where the misleading ad came from.

chrisso

Honorable
Nov 17, 2013
There is a bumwipe from Portugal who sells empty motherboard boxes on ebay for £50
and he swears people collect them! My guess is they only have a collection of'1'..

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah I got scammed on eBay but only lost $30. But learned an important lesson: If the seller can't be verified, do not buy!

Rhinofart

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
As crappy as it is, I agree that the seller should NOT have been banned. If the ad clearly stated that this was the picture, and not the actual console, which the buyer even admited to, it's his own tough luck. The seller should take action against EBay for this. As much as it sucks for the buyer, it was his own fault.

Anaxamenes

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
The seller was right to be banned. We should make it painful for businesses or people int he course of business to behave poorly. Yes it did say it was a picture, and the guy is obviously not the brightest person out there, so we as a civilized society must protect our weakest from exploitation.

Michael Unfried

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
According to another article, the title of the eBay listing was "Xbox One Fifa Day One Edition, Photo Brand New UK 2013" so it is a *little* misleading, if only due to the comma.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006

In principle I agree, but it isn't always an option. I for instance own two 70s cars for which some parts seem to be rare. So when I come across an item on my needs list I'd have to get it from whomever posts it as they aren't readily available. And I'm sure there are many niche stuff collectors in similar situations. With that said though, I believe the risk of scammers is neglible with niche things as they're not as sought after as xmas gifts.

Status
Not open for further replies.