UK Trolls May See Legal Response To Defamation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
So what or who determines defamatory? What is defamatory to one person is nothing more than big talk to another. There are tons of people out there just looking to take what a person says and find a way to use it to attack them on any level (politicians come to mind); and these same people tend to be the ones who cry defamatory if you just plain disagree with them. While others just wave them off as blowhards and nothing more.

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
The people thinking about this law need to study the Streishand effect. No better way to spread a bad story about yourself then by sending legal threats to the author. Don't courts already have enough bad litigation to try to make decisions on?

LongLiveRock1974

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
What a shame. Listen, if you can't put on your big boy pants when posting a comment, don't post. I shouldn't be held accountable for hurting your feelings. I think 40% of trolling is entertaining and some people deserve it for being retarded.

G

Why is this even an issue?

Posting a comment should be no different then saying something on the phone, or in a newspaper, or writing something in a book, or any other form of speech. There are already defamation laws on the books, why do we need more?

As long as you attack the ideas in an internet reply, you can call them stupid all you want. Just dont attack the author and post false things about them and you are fine. What normal person does this anyway? I never have in the 10s of thousands of posts ive made on the internet...its not hard.... Which is no different then any other form of speech i use.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]longliverock1974[/nom]What a shame. Listen, if you can't put on your big boy pants when posting a comment, don't post. I shouldn't be held accountable for hurting your feelings. I think 40% of trolling is entertaining and some people deserve it for being retarded.[/citation]
harsh words but true... there are very few cases in which your opinion is a unerversal truth for everyone, and should be ready at all times to get mocked and made fun of by everyone else who doesn't share that view.

case in point, a person was writing a story, he mentioned that he believed in a religion that was in a zelda game or something (details there are vauge because i wasnt part of the conversation) but needless to say, a clearly fake religion, and got mocked, so he rage quit writing the storys.

if you do anything, prepare to be mocked.

It seems to me the biggest abusers of others are the ones who think they should have the right to do so. There already is law in place to show that obviously free speech has limits and consequences. I can't legally walk into a building and yell "FIRE!!!", if there is no fire. And I can't legally put posters up around my neighborhood that somebody is a child molester if its not true.

To do such a thing would open me up to both criminal and civil litigation, AS WELL IT OUGHT TO. Why is this so hard to comprehend that the same laws should apply to cyberspace?

case in point, a person was writing a story, he mentioned that he believed in a religion that was in a zelda game or something (details there are vauge because i wasnt part of the conversation) but needless to say, a clearly fake religion, and got mocked, so he rage quit writing the storys.

Some would argue that ALL religions are fake, and people have the right to believe that as well. But there are lines that can be crossed. There is a difference between respectful debate and legal harassment.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I never realized that websites were responsible for the comments posted by users. That is the law they need to change. Any website that gives out user information based on trolling comments is going to find itself quickly losing users. I'm not usually a troll, but I'm sure that I've defamed at least a few companies over the years.

G

For those urging thicker skins, or those parsing nuances of defamation -- how do you feel about death threats. I've seen several of these in newspaper comment sections here in Vancouver, and there seems to be no law or will to do anything about them.

akamrcrack

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
Soon I'll be able to hack myself onto peoples accounts, go around flaming/trolling the spit out of everyone in site (pun), and sit back and watch that person who's account I stole get sued/fined/imprisioned for the lulz.

Most epic form of trolling yet.

Thanks UK, I needed a new way to troll people.

/e I love how they claim to be able to know exactly who you are when posting a comment on a forums. Like they have any possible means to know how to identify who is who to know who to send the bill to. Same thing as to how US government no longer connects citizens to an I.P. address since anyone can be on your I.P.. Same concept.

I suspect the UK government is trolling people.

So much so that people will start trolling people into making rage comments getting them sued over something they were trolled into saying and or hacked accounts getting taken over by spam bots to get sent to forums/threads to spam hateful/racist/ignorant/dissrespectful/distasteful/illegal content.

svdb

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
[citation][nom]Crush3d[/nom]Wait, people take online comments seriously?Oh god.[/citation] How about I go around the web suggesting to anyone who wants to hear it that you're a child molester, and then let see if you're able to keep your reputation and your job for very long. ;)
You'd suddenly start to understand and to care about the whole concept of "defamation".

zetzabre

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
So, you take online comments seriously. You are really ignorant.

Now, if you don't know, in civilized countries with fair laws, if someone discriminates you or fire you just for online (and unproved) comments from the internet (or other sources), you can sue the company or people for that.

Ignorant people judge with comments. Smart people judge with proved facts.

svdb

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
ParrDacc, Kamab, Crush3d, Plasticjesus690, skaughtz, hoof_hearted, longliverock1974, zetzabre, akamrack are pedophiles, ex-convicts, burglars, thieves and murders.
I know that for a fact because I know who they are and I read police reports.

Now, according to them, my post should not be censored any way by anyone for spreading false rumors since 1) I only claimed to expose facts, 2) I did it in a respectful way and 3) I exercise my freedom of speech rights.
Let's see how that goes.

zetzabre

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
[citation][nom]svdb[/nom]ParrDacc, Kamab, Crush3d, Plasticjesus690, skaughtz, hoof_hearted, longliverock1974, zetzabre, akamrack are pedophiles, ex-convicts, burglars, thieves and murders.I know that for a fact because I know who they are and I read police reports.Now, according to them, my post should not be censored any way by anyone for spreading false rumors since 1) I only claimed to expose facts, 2) I did it in a respectful way and 3) I exercise my freedom of speech rights.Let's see how that goes.[/citation]
Let me tell you how this goes: Nobody pays you attention, ParrDacc, Kamab, Crush3d, Plasticjesus690, skaughtz, hoof_hearted, longliverock1974, akamrack and me just ignore you because we don't care about some ignorant like you say or write.

This is how evolved people work. We don't care aout what ignorants like you say, because you have nothing to prove your words.

Status
Not open for further replies.