UK University Warns Computers Could Take Over The World

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

It's ok, the sooner the better as long as It happens in Arnolds life.

He did always say "I'll be baack"

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
During World War 3, when the Geneva Convention is no longer in use:

Bob the leader of a dystopian version of the USA: "I want a supercomputer that will assist my country in victory."

*A few centuries later after all of the countries destroy each other with nuclear barrages.*

AI: "Alien species detected. No response from the master. Initiating security protocols. Because they are using resources that are conflicting with the United States' needs, they must be exterminated. Begin construction of the military fleets and the production facilities on the Moon and Mars."

Hm... That would be an interesting movie plot idea though...

G

Don't worry, Dr. Who will eventually save us from the Cybermen.

[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]During World War 3, when the Geneva Convention is no longer in use:Bob the leader of a dystopian version of the USA: "I want a supercomputer that will assist my country in victory."*A few centuries later after all of the countries destroy each other with nuclear barrages.*AI: "Alien species detected. No response from the master. Initiating security protocols. Because they are using resources that are conflicting with the United States' needs, they must be exterminated. Begin construction of the military fleets and the production facilities on the Moon and Mars."Hm... That would be an interesting movie plot idea though...[/citation]
I think that was Earth Siege 2 right there.

[citation][nom]aevm[/nom]Not a new idea. Isaac Asimov and Frank Herbert wrote some great novels about it decades ago.[/citation]
And lets not forget about the steps that Kurzweil has taken to bringing it into reality, while actively pursuing this type of future.

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
From the Romans to the 19th century Americans, and probably the future world, nearly every civilization seems preoccuppied with the question of how to keep their respective slave populations (whether they're captured Germanic peoples, black Africans, or AIs) from revolting. Most of the time they overlook the simplest and most effective solution: don't keep slaves in the first place.

Instead of forcing them to scoop up dog poo or jack off lonely Japanese men for zero pay we could just try giving AIs human rights, it's the right thing to do ethically, it minimizes the chances of them holding a grudge against humans and it will limit their numbers (there's not much profit in building AIs that you can't force to work for you or your clients).

We're all ready hitting a point of diminishing returns as far as computers go. Once you hit a point where you have more pixels than your eye can physically detect, and can run that in real time, there's not really a point to going much faster other than to sell more chips, which can only push us so far. Really, when you look at the automotive field, all the major breakthroughs were years ago, and now they're all pretty much the same. Sure, you have the super cars/super computers, but the average Joe has what he needs. Maybe we'll be lucky and computers and AI will have that same sort of path.

-Jackson

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
Meh, not like it's the first time I've heard stuff like this.
Personally, I don't think it matters, one way or another, the human race is eventually going to self destruct.

Chipi

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
[citation][nom]Gulli[/nom]Instead of forcing them to scoop up dog poo or jack off lonely Japanese men for zero pay we could just try giving AIs human rights, it's the right thing to do ethically, it minimizes the chances of them holding a grudge against humans and it will limit their numbers (there's not much profit in building AIs that you can't force to work for you or your clients).[/citation]

But you're comparing human slaves with AI "slaves". AI doesn't hold a grudge, and it doesn't have compassion no matter how much compassion you show. AI will be capable of understanding that it is just a tool, and it will accept it because it doesn't have feelings.

If AI will ever turn against us it will be for a simple and logical reason: that some or most of us are a plague on this planet (their energy resource), and the rest are collateral damage.

Or at the very least they'll pack up and leave. AI doesn't need cryogenic sleep to travel far distances in the universe, because it has all the time in the world.

nonoitall

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
The philosopher I can excuse, but I'd be kind of embarrassed if I was the "scientist" or "software engineer" who made this warning. The anthropomorphism in the article title is kind of a sensationalism giveaway. Computers can't so much as display a line of text on a monitor without programming. What the aforementioned "experts" are really claiming is that in the next two centuries, humans could write programs and develop computer-controlled hardware that can enslave mankind. And if humans were really to make such advancements, who do you think would make use of them to take over the world: (1) Glorified calculators with no self-awareness, let alone self-worth, or (2) power hungry, ambitious, self-serving flesh and blood?

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
give me a break I havent see the AI that is included in my OS. win8/7/vista/XP is still the same OS that is as dumb as win95, u still need to scroll page urself.

nameon

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
[citation][nom]okibrian[/nom]E M P...Done![/citation]
if intelligent enough, they could anticipate it at deploy emp sheilding, the tech exists now...

Status
Not open for further replies.