News UK Won’t Get Chip Plant, Brexit to Blame, Says Intel CEO

I'll go on a limb and say Spain or Portugal are their best candidates given geo-location and economy. Spain being the dodgy one here. Italy could also be another good candidate, I guess.

I know one thing for sure: it won't be Germany, lol.

Regards.

sepuko

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
I'll go on a limb and say Spain or Portugal are their best candidates given geo-location and economy. Spain being the dodgy one here. Italy could also be another good candidate, I guess.

Regards.
How about an educated local workforce and know-how? I think Germany is the most likely candidate. As for geolocation, Bulgaria is quite well positioned too(still in EU but also close to Asia, Middle East and Africa) but there's no way in hell enough people can be found locally and no way in hell would there be enough educated people willing to relocate there. Same for Spain and especially Portugal.

Endymio

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 3, 2020
How about an educated local workforce and know-how? I think Germany is the most likely candidate. As for geolocation, Bulgaria is quite well positioned too...
Either is more likely than Spain, I agree, especially given the workforce issues and anti-business environment there. I'd also think Intel would be looking heavily at Poland.

wr3zzz

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I will be shocked if Intel is not expanding in Ireland. The compnay is just talking to get more government concessions.

How about an educated local workforce and know-how? I think Germany is the most likely candidate. As for geolocation, Bulgaria is quite well positioned too(still in EU but also close to Asia, Middle East and Africa) but there's no way in hell enough people can be found locally and no way in hell would there be enough educated people willing to relocate there. Same for Spain and especially Portugal.
The "local know-how" is a minor consideration. Political/economical stability, war/conflicts prospects and geo-position are the most important ones they consider. Even more so than price. Moving people around the globe now is way easier than it was 40 years ago and, given the running cost of such factories, it's really a non-starter to even consider that. Knowledge, and to a bigger degree, "smart people", you can find anywhere these days. I say that as someone that has moved around the globe because of those reasons.

That being said, shareholders and influential people at the higher end of corps are still humans and humans are weird creatures :p

Regards.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Not even a month a go the news come out of UK being the fastest growing economy in the G20.
On the basis of a single quarter, sure. If you look at the previous quarter, UK was 2nd last. If you look at growth since Q4 2019 (i.e. the period since brexit occurred), UK is also 2nd last.

But all of that is probably a measure of how the country is managing with COVID, as much or more than it is a measure of the economy as a whole. Who knows how well the trends over the last year and a half will hold going forward.

Chung Leong

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
Either is more likely than Spain, I agree, especially given the workforce issues and anti-business environment there. I'd also think Intel would be looking heavily at Poland.

Intel is looking for state aid to build the fab. The Polish government has neither the money nor the political clout to funnel it through some EU institution to make it legit. Germany will get the project in the end.

lazyabum

Reputable
Jan 16, 2021
It shouldn't be political but business as usual has declined & is changing to the point where innovation will be in the hands of consumers on par with internet entertainment, crypto currency & 3D printing. So long as tech evolves, more people will be able to break free from the current top down model of modern economics.

sepuko

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
The "local know-how" is a minor consideration. Political/economical stability, war/conflicts prospects and geo-position are the most important ones they consider. Even more so than price. Moving people around the globe now is way easier than it was 40 years ago and, given the running cost of such factories, it's really a non-starter to even consider that. Knowledge, and to a bigger degree, "smart people", you can find anywhere these days. I say that as someone that has moved around the globe because of those reasons.

That being said, shareholders and influential people at the higher end of corps are still humans and humans are weird creatures :p

Regards.
Oh boy, saying you can move people around out of context is just not an educated statement. You can't move all of the workforce you need around, you can probably bring in a few experts, but that is it, the grunt work will be carried out by local workers if there are any. This is an actual non-starter. As someone who has moved around the globe you should actually know better.

Oh boy, saying you can move people around out of context is just not an educated statement. You can't move all of the workforce you need around, you can probably bring in a few experts, but that is it, the grunt work will be carried out by local workers if there are any. This is an actual non-starter. As someone who has moved around the globe you should actually know better.
I see you haven't been to the EU much... Or outside of the USA for that matter?

Regards.

Reactions: french chris

french chris

Commendable
Nov 19, 2019

Regards.
You do not know for sure at all.
Germany is the current favourite to win the European 'megafab' site with France a 'possibility.
Italy will likely get the 'packaging plant' deal.''

Endymio

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 3, 2020
The UK always had sovereignty...You are guilty of believing the lies of the leave campaigners. Just you try to verify any of their wild assertions.
Sovereignty is defined as having supreme authority. Under the Lisbon Treaty, the UK did not have sole authority over its immigration, trade, agricultural policy, monetary policy, and whole host of other issues.

Reactions: Why_Me
The EU did not control the lives of UK people. The UK always had sovereignty.
You are guilty of believing the lies of the leave campaigners. Just you try to verify any of their wild assertions. You won't get far.
More times than naught the EU courts overruled the UK courts not to mention Berlin along with their puppets in Brussels made the immigration laws for all the other EU countries.