News UL Releases 3DMark Solar Bay for Cross-Platform Ray Tracing Comparisons

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
Linux is now used more and more by people for gaming purposes, why exclude that? Since they are already running on Android anyways, they already have it ported to the Linux - kernel -.

At a minimum, I could see a full exclusion except "we support 3DMark on SteamOS"

Now THAT would make a ton of sense. Not desktop linux, not really. Just SteamOS.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
Linux is now used more and more by people for gaming purposes, why exclude that? Since they are already running on Android anyways, they already have it ported to the Linux - kernel -.
Well, the kernel isn't really the issue. It's the userspace APIs. As far as those go, we're mainly talking about Vulkan vs. Direct3D. To your point, if it runs on Android, then their engine must've been ported to Vulkan. So, that part part is spot on.

Now, I've heard that 3D Mark actually does exist for Linux, but it's only available to special individuals. The issue seems to be that they only have a commandline interface working, rather than their normal GUI. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me, but that's what I've heard.

Hopefully, that means we'll eventually get a Linux version. Perhaps it might be more expensive, if they feel they need to cover the reduced volume.

Last edited:
Reactions: ezst036
Status
Not open for further replies.