ulead videostudio 7

bill

I have downloaded a trial version of this software to test editting some MPG
files I captured. The file is about 3 hours of video at 5MB vbr so the file
is about 5GB.

I am cutting clips to make it shorter so it will fit on a DVD. I have also
added some transitions between the cuts. The program seems to work very well
and I really like it. The interface is very easy to use, etc.

The problem is that when I got past about the first third of the clip,
everything seemed to grind to a very slow halt. I has become so slow that I
cannot use it.

Does anyone have any idea of what is happening. I have a P3, 1.5Ghz, 512MB,
and a dedicated 30GB drive just for video.

Thanks for posting ideas.

In Ulead VideoStudio 7.0 trial version, click FILE > PREFERENCES.

After the PREFERENCES pop-up menu appears, look at the bottom of the
GENERAL tab. Where is your WORKING FOLDER located?

Click the PREVIEW tab. Where is your PREVIEW FILES FOLDER located?

I put both of these folders on my dedicated video drive so they'll
have plenty of space.

Jerry Jones
http://www.jonesgroup.net

Bill <wlop46-news@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Does anyone have any idea of what is happening. I have a P3, 1.5Ghz, 512MB,
> and a dedicated 30GB drive just for video.

"Past about the first third of the clip" would be right around where the active
size of the clip goes beyond 2GB, which is the limit for some of the old Windows
file manipulation APIs, so I'd wonder if the program can handle clips longer than
that - certainly, some older/simpler programs cannot. It could also be that you're
running out of memory. The program probably isn't foolish enough to try to keep
the whole clip in RAM, but it could well have ongoing data about a clip being
processed, and it could start thrashing once you get beyond a certain point.
It would be interesting to see if you could borrow some more RAM long
enough to repeat the experiement. If more memory doesn't help, it's very
likely a file size problem.

"Bill" <wlop46-news@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:4fGhc.554$yr5.176@newssvr15.news.prodigy.com...
> I have downloaded a trial version of this software to test editting some MPG
> files I captured. The file is about 3 hours of video at 5MB vbr so the file
> is about 5GB.
>
> I am cutting clips to make it shorter so it will fit on a DVD. I have also
> added some transitions between the cuts. The program seems to work very well
> and I really like it. The interface is very easy to use, etc.
>
> The problem is that when I got past about the first third of the clip,
> everything seemed to grind to a very slow halt. I has become so slow that I
> cannot use it.
>
> Does anyone have any idea of what is happening. I have a P3, 1.5Ghz, 512MB,
> and a dedicated 30GB drive just for video.
>
> Thanks for posting ideas.

bill

Thanks for the suggestion. I did change both preferences and preview tab to
point to my dedicated drive after I made a temp folder on it and pointed to
that folder. It made no different.

For example, just moving the slider to see where I might split the clip.
When looking at the first about 8 minutes of the clip, the preview moves
nicely with the slider. But after moving into the clip about 8 minutes, the
preview window stops while I'm moving the slider. When I stop the slider,
the preview window catches up but it takes several seconds. This time
increases as I move further into the clip. I guess if my clips were no
longer than 5 minutes each, it would work OK.

Then I would be curious to know the precise video/audio properties of
the MPEG files themselves.

For example, when I work with MPEG files captured from a mini DV
camcorder using an OHCI compliant IEEE 1394 (FIREWIRE) interface, I
observe the following precise properties:

NTSC drop frame (29.97 fps)
MPEG files
24 Bits, 720 x 480, 29.97 fps
Field Order A
(DVD-NTSC), 4:3
Video data rate: Variable (Max. 8264 kbps)
LPCM Audio, 48 KHz, Stereo

How do the properties of your source files compare?

Which specific make/model of capture card did you use to obtain them?

Jerry Jones
http://www.jonesgroup.net

Bill <wlop46-news@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestion. I did change both preferences and preview tab to
> point to my dedicated drive after I made a temp folder on it and pointed to
> that folder. It made no different.
> For example, just moving the slider to see where I might split the clip.
> When looking at the first about 8 minutes of the clip, the preview moves
> nicely with the slider. But after moving into the clip about 8 minutes, the
> preview window stops while I'm moving the slider. When I stop the slider,
> the preview window catches up but it takes several seconds. This time
> increases as I move further into the clip. I guess if my clips were no
> longer than 5 minutes each, it would work OK.

Just wondering whether you've defragged your drive lately?

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

"Bill" <wlop46-news@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have downloaded a trial version of this software to test editting some
MPG
> files I captured. The file is about 3 hours of video at 5MB vbr so the
file
> is about 5GB.
>
> I am cutting clips to make it shorter so it will fit on a DVD. I have also
> added some transitions between the cuts. The program seems to work very
well
> and I really like it. The interface is very easy to use, etc.
>
> The problem is that when I got past about the first third of the clip,
> everything seemed to grind to a very slow halt. I has become so slow that
> cannot use it.
>
> Does anyone have any idea of what is happening. I have a P3, 1.5Ghz,
512MB,
> and a dedicated 30GB drive just for video.
>
> Thanks for posting ideas.

bill

I used a Dazzle DVCII PCI to capture to MPG. This is what shows in clip
properties:

File size: 5,246,450 KB
File Duration: 03:13:15:18
Format: 24 Bits (720x480)
Compression: MPEG-2, Field B, Variable bit rate
Comp. ratio: 0%
Frame rate: 29.970 Frames/sec
Total frames: 347520 Frames
Audio format: MPEG Audio Layer 2 Files
Attrib: 48000 Hz, 16 Bit Stereo

I don't see anything unusual about your properties read-out, but I do
know that DAZZLE products have - in the past - been quite proprietary
and designed to work with the software with which they were bundled.

I seem to recall the DVCII PCI card was bundled with a program called
"MovieStar."

As you know, PINNACLE acquired DAZZLE.

Their technical support page is here:

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/wwwsupport/Interactive_Dazzle/us/frameset.htm

The behavior you describe is definitely not normal.

Without having the opportunity to sit in front of your computer and
observe what's happening first hand, I'm unable to know for certain if
the problem is the source files or the installation of the software.

Jerry Jones
http://www.jonesgroup.net

Bill <wlop46-news@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I used a Dazzle DVCII PCI to capture to MPG. This is what shows in clip
> properties:
> File size: 5,246,450 KB
> File Duration: 03:13:15:18
> Format: 24 Bits (720x480)
> Compression: MPEG-2, Field B, Variable bit rate
> Comp. ratio: 0%
> Frame rate: 29.970 Frames/sec
> Total frames: 347520 Frames
> Audio format: MPEG Audio Layer 2 Files
> Attrib: 48000 Hz, 16 Bit Stereo

bill

Thanks for the information. Yes I do have and use MoveStar and it works
perfectly. I wanted something with more sophistication and decided to try
VS7 because it had good reviews. That was why I was trying the trial
version.

To test the file format, I will take a clip from a regular DVD and see how
it works.