[SOLVED] Ultimate Budget Monster

BudgetBRO321

Prominent
Apr 15, 2020
HELLO GUYS LETS GET READY FOR SOME SERIOUS THONKING

I just got my first self earned hard working money and i have about 160 dollars to get the following components: motherboard, cpu, cooler, ram, power supply.

To make the best of it i chose to go HIGH END 2010-2012 stuff instead of low end 2017-2019 stuff like cheap ryzen (i want to stream for my firends and edit video so i can use cheap multi core systems) , i do game but i dont really preffer high resolutions (720 is <Mod Edit> perfect for me) or high settings. after a ton of research ive come to the conclusion that the most powerful processor sockets which also are cheap are the following: LGA 1366 OR LGA 1155 and for both sockets ive planned my 2 builds:

LGA 1155:
NEW MOTHERBOARD

USED XEON 1270 4 core 8 threads 3.4 ghz (3.8)
USED 2x8GB ddr3 Dual channel
USED Rx 4xx or 5xx / nvidia 7xx 9xx 10xx
NEW Some 500w psu and generic cooler

LGA 1166:
USED DELL T3500 MOTHERBOARD
USED XEON X5675 6 core 12threads 3.06 ghz (3.5)
USED 24GB DDR3 1333MHZ ECC TRIPLE CHANNEL
Same choice of video cards
500w PSU

Things to consider:
1366 system: old used motherboard which can also be picky on components slower GHZ but more c/t will need a decent cooler

1155 system less ram capacity and speed (dual vs triple)
NEW motherboard
Higher clock speed

Ive also considered
A cheap am4 motherboard with 3200mhz ddr4 ram and a cheap ryzen (i cant afford the 4c 8t i need for streaming) but i could go for a 3200g and forget about the video card, which one should i go with and why? My main concern is putting together an old 1366 system bc of compatibility and reliability. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
The t3500 was my gaming rig until I got the 1600x I have now. With a gtx 1060, going from a x5660 to a 1600x, I have seen minimal gains from my irl experience. Benchmarks have it as a lot faster but its not noticeable irl.

The ram was SUPER picky doe, I ended up using normal desktop ram since ecc is usually buffered and not compatible, and ecc unbuffered was about the same price as desktop ram.
The 3500 also uses a non standard board layout, close to e-atx, can fit into an atx case with modifications to the case usually, the front panel is also proprietary, but fortunately the power switch can be isolated and hooked up to any front panel with pins 19-20 (might be different, I forget).
There is no overclocking, at least I was never...

thomas123321

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2013
From your options i would go for the X5675 build because first its has more cores, and later on if you can get a decent cooler you can overclock it to get higher performance. And secondly if you need to stream and edit videos right now, this is the best option. Otherwise if you save up for now and get newer and better stuff, and have a upgrade path.

Reactions: BudgetBRO321

BudgetBRO321

Prominent
Apr 15, 2020
From your options i would go for the X5675 build because first its has more cores, and later on if you can get a decent cooler you can overclock it to get higher performance. And secondly if you need to stream and edit videos right now, this is the best option. Otherwise if you save up for now and get newer and better stuff, and have a upgrade path.
Yeah the thing is newer stuff is more expensive and i preffer to use my money for something more productive, about 200 bucks for my enjoyment is nuff,what build new build do you suggest?

The t3500 was my gaming rig until I got the 1600x I have now. With a gtx 1060, going from a x5660 to a 1600x, I have seen minimal gains from my irl experience. Benchmarks have it as a lot faster but its not noticeable irl.

The ram was SUPER picky doe, I ended up using normal desktop ram since ecc is usually buffered and not compatible, and ecc unbuffered was about the same price as desktop ram.
The 3500 also uses a non standard board layout, close to e-atx, can fit into an atx case with modifications to the case usually, the front panel is also proprietary, but fortunately the power switch can be isolated and hooked up to any front panel with pins 19-20 (might be different, I forget).
There is no overclocking, at least I was never successful with fsb oc'ing. I used a hyper t4(budget 212).

Since you only game at 720p, the 3200g would also work, but atm, any boards that were out of the box compatible with it are overpriced/out of stock, unless you can get the vendor to update the bios.

The 1155 board may no be compatible with the xeon, it likely is, but not guaranteed. The i7 2600/e3-1270 are faster by a small margin in single threaded applications and 8 threads is still a acceptable amount.

Both 1155 and 1366 boards are plentiful, so if either were to fail, an identical replacement will likely not be too hard to come across.

The biggest problem that I can see, is the psu. You may be tempted to just buy any janky psu. Don't, there are more to power supplies then watts, and if you plan on powering a gpu(especially an older thirsty gpu), you'll need something relatively decent. At this point, there's a lack of psu's in stock, and you will likely have to spend at least $60 for a corsair cx450/550. Used psu's are seldom a good option unless their history can be verified.

I'd look for a decent psu first and pair it with a prebuilt MT like a t1600, optiplex MT, etc. At 720p, 2gb vram should be enough. I personally favor the e3-1270, it's found in the t1600 pre-built(~$80).

Solution

BudgetBRO321

Prominent
Apr 15, 2020

There is no overclocking, at least I was never successful with fsb oc'ing. I used a hyper t4(budget 212).

Since you only game at 720p, the 3200g would also work, but atm, any boards that were out of the box compatible with it are overpriced/out of stock, unless you can get the vendor to update the bios.

The 1155 board may no be compatible with the xeon, it likely is, but not guaranteed. The i7 2600/e3-1270 are faster by a small margin in single threaded applications and 8 threads is still a acceptable amount.

Both 1155 and 1366 boards are plentiful, so if either were to fail, an identical replacement will likely not be too hard to come across.

The biggest problem that I can see, is the psu. You may be tempted to just buy any janky psu. Don't, there are more to power supplies then watts, and if you plan on powering a gpu(especially an older thirsty gpu), you'll need something relatively decent. At this point, there's a lack of psu's in stock, and you will likely have to spend at least $60 for a corsair cx450/550. Used psu's are seldom a good option unless their history can be verified.

I'd look for a decent psu first and pair it with a prebuilt MT like a t1600, optiplex MT, etc. At 720p, 2gb vram should be enough. I personally favor the e3-1270, it's found in the t1600 pre-built(~$80).
Wow this was very helpful, so ill need a special power button? Ill be careful with the ram, ill link you the LGA 1155 board im looking for : https://www.amazon.com/-/es/1600MHz...otherboard+socket+1155&qid=1592438968&sr=8-31

That's a generic chinese board, who knows what cpu will actually run with it. The chipset is b75, which has a lot of cpu's compatible, xeon isn't listed, but xeon usually is listed for consumer boards. These generic boards tend to cause instability, disable certain cpu features, use sub-par components, etc. Overall, I'd value them less then a used board.

Reactions: BudgetBRO321

BudgetBRO321

Prominent
Apr 15, 2020
That's a generic chinese board, who knows what cpu will actually run with it. The chipset is b75, which has a lot of cpu's compatible, xeon isn't listed, but xeon usually is listed for consumer boards. These generic boards tend to cause instability, disable certain cpu features, use sub-par components, etc. Overall, I'd value them less then a used board.
darn ill have to buy an asus board then, its worth the extra 20 bucks