Ultimate build

effluo

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
Hey.

im 25 and this would be the first rig ive set up from scratch....

i am looking to buy/put together a new system sometime soon, but all the systems that come prebuilt either have too many extras or not enough of what i want.

so here is the question...

is it possible to have a motherboard built to my specifications? and if so, how much will it cost me and where?

i want something like this... but more slots and versitility
http://www.compusa.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=4268650&sku=A455-2854

for instance...

if i am building a rig on one of those websites, im always getting the error message that i have run out of slots for components.... so i want more lol

also, i would like to have a slot made to interchange CPUs if i want to upgrade.... (start with a basic quad core and maybe upgrade to an i-7 or better later)

so the specs would need to include...

3x SLI

support for 20 gig memory or more - so alot of slots if the current slots only support up to 4 G

lots of ports, and... well... im not sure

any help with the design and procurement of this beast?

rip187

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
CPU's go into sockets, cards go into slots. You don't need 20 gigs of ram.

Well if money is no issue this is the most powerful built i can come up with, not to mention expensive.

Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition 965 Nehalem 3.2GHz LGA 1366 130W

a decent asus 1366 socket boardi i.e. ASUS Rampage II Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard (this has 6 ram slots FTW, it also supports triple SLI or triple Crossfire)

ram: DDR3 ram i.e G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000)

hardrive: Western Digital VelociRaptor WD3000HLFS 300GB 10000 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive you can always put

a slower drive to hold media just make sure it is sata not a pata or IDE

power supply: Antec Signature SG850 850W Continuous Power ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80

PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

graphics cards: 2 ATi 4870x2 or if you like nivida get a 3 geforce 295 gtx

case: i like the antec 900 series myself but make sure you get either a full or mid tower sized case

sound card: if you really want one make sure its a sound blaster (i just use hdmi output from my graphics card)

yeah any other questions fire away.

What will this system be used for?

X58 motherboards will support 24gb when the ram with 4gb sticks become available. Until then, 12gb.
Server boards can go much higher.

You will not find mobo's with more than 7 slots. Case standards won't allow it.
If you have a few million in bailout money, try intel, they might build a mobo to your spec.

3 or 4 pci-e video slots make sense only if you intend to use cards in them for something like physics processing. If you are thinking about gaming, 3 way sli is really only of academic interest.

For hard drives, a SAS controller would let you attach dozens of drives, externally, of course.

boulard83

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
I dont know what you want to doo .. but your needs seems HUGE ;)

Here is my Crazy one, not too much. Its just a nice build !

1x Antec 1200

1x Corsair 1000W psu

1x EVGA GTX285

1x Noctua NH-U12P cpu cooler WC is better

2x WD caviar 7200rpm 32mb cache 1TB

2x OCZ vertex (SSD) 60gb

2x Corsair DDR3 1600 (3x2gb)

1x I7 920 (dont really need the Extreme .. this one can OC to 4.0 EZ)

1x Asus P6T deluxe V2 (support 24gb of memory)

TOTAL : 2500$

The PSU is ready for 3SLI gtx285. (350$ each)
For better cooling, switch to WC. (300$+++ )
For better HDD speed, 4x SSD raid-0 is awesome. And for MORE .. HighPoint RocketRAID (300$) Or any better raid controller

Have fun !

effluo

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
wow... alot of help... and alot of unhelpful comments....
the system i am currently using is a large server.... it doesnt work as well as i want. so i figured i would set up a single system, instead of multiple.

i have a friend who has a program he is working on. it will run every system in my home. (I designed and have had built a nice house exactly to my specifications.) this program takes 2 gigs of ram to run smoothly. (lots of sensors throughout the house, lights, appliances, ect.) and i would like a bit extra to spare.

I also have a graphics program that runs a 3-d interactive imaging program. this also takes alot of ram.

i am also a gamer, who likes using the highest settings, and I also enjoy the many uses of hd

i am planing on spending $15,000 or so on this system, and will not build another for another 10 years or so.

and as to the tower size limit... i would be using a custom tower as well... it is possible to have parts built to ur specifications. i have seen it done.

i just need to know where lol.

boulard83

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
for 15000, your better to go for 2 system.

1 sercer + 1 Gaming-apps Rig.

Gaming rig = 4000$ (3 sli+WCed rig) An awesome one ......
Server = 3000$ if you go crazy ;)

youll have 8k left to Drink beer and wine with your wife !

am planing on spending $15,000 or so on this system, and will not build another for another 10 years or so.

----------------------------------------

That is not realistic. The systems of ten years ago are laughable today, I expect that today's best will be very old in 2019.

For what you want, your budget could be a fraction of $15k. Invest the rest, and upgrade every few years.

The i7 is a very strong cpu, capable of running 8 threads concurrently.
For gaming, today, two top end cards in sli is about as good as it gets, and only of benefit on a 30" 2560x1600 monitor. There are diminishing and negative returns on tri-sli.

Start with 12gb of ram, and if you need 24gb, change out the ram when it becomes available.

jjbtexas

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
i don't know if building a $15,000 rig is possible unless your getting the case made out of pure gold (don't laugh, it would be cool) but if you do please post pics as i find this very interesting

p.s. what do u do for a living if you "built a nice house exactly to my specifications" and have $15K to drop on a PC, and your only 25? that is awesome

PinkCrayon

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
Dropping 15 grand for a super computer that will hold for a decade is simply unrealistic, especially for home-use. That is comparable to dropping a million on a car and expecting it to hold for a century.

Perhaps you should invest in an i7 build in which you can upgrade over time for a small fraction of your budget. Although I still cannot fathom keeping a computer for a decade without having to replace all of its parts at some point in time.