Ultimate cooling solution for the ultimate PC check it out!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

idroid

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012
Hello everyone, you guys helped me build a AMAZING water-cooling system for a truly quick ass PC in mid June, but i want to get something even better!

I was thinking in combining Watercooling and Oil cooling!!! the question is... is it possible???

This is my rig:

*i7 3960x
*8 DIMMs of RAM
*Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79
*Quad GTX680s (EVGA 04G-P4-3688-KR the best gtx 680s)
*Case labs Magnum STH10
*Triple 512GB Vertex 4 SSDs
*Dual Seasonic X860

EVERYTHING is watercooled (even RAM and Motherboard) by two 560mm rads and a 480mm rad equipped with Bitfenix spectre pro red led fans

I just want to upgrade my cooling system, i am not a hardcore gamer or anything like that, i just want an amazingly good looking PC.

I wanted to get to get this:

*EVGA Super nova
*EXTREMELY HIGH CFM fans 4x http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8147/fan-500/Delta_Mega_Fast_120mm_x_38mm_Fan_-_252_CFM_-_Bare_Lead_PFB1212UHE-F00.html?tl=g36c435s1109 and 8x http://www.frozencpu.com/products/14514/fan-947/Prolimatech_Aluminum_Vortex_Series_140mm_x_25mm_CPU_Fan_-_Red_LED_1600RPM_127CFM.html?tl=g36c435s1105

*a fan controller capable of powering those fans
*a good aquarium for the PC?

ok, lets begin!

*I do not have my system with me.
*Money is not a problem.
*I am stuck in Germany with my pregnant wife and i CAN NOT go back to the US until the baby is born so time is not an issue.
*I have moderate modding skills.
*Aesthetics are the most important thing.
*i know that fans with high CFM = noise.... will oil cooling be enough to keep them quiet?
*i will like to order the main parts ASAP and have them shipped to my house in US but i want to build or buy the box (aquarium, maybe?) that will hold my stuff here.
*can i break/disable the red leds on the 140mm fans? i only want my red led cord to shine on my system.
*any part recommendation is GREATLY appreciated

PS: To all gamers out there, i am sorry i bought that system, it should only be used by TRUE gamers, not me :lol:

First off, no oil, end of discussion.
If you want better cooling there its a water chiiler or a peltier modded onto a block, check out Ryans :'sub-ambient cooling' sticky up top for some good guidance and a few pitfalls to try and avoid :)
Sorry for short answer mate, on the phone at work
Moto

idroid

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012

but me wantz oil :(

TBH i don't really care about temps, i want something to look good and ryan's build is...well, ugly :( my cooling system is more than enough for my system but STH10 is kinda ugly....

jacknhut

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010

Then list the components you intend to purchase and your rationale for picking those componenents (due to reviews etc?) and people will chime in to tell you whats good and whats not.

idroid

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012

i am not a noob, i know whats good and bad, i am just asking for input.. i mean, i am going to combine two extreme cooling solutions (watercooling and oil cooling) and i just want to know if there is anything i should be worried about.

a little black duck

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2011
First off, let me say I've never watercooled a pc, but before you dismiss anything I say. From a strictly engineering point of view, there's a very good reason why water cooling is more common than oil cooling. Water has a far higher heat transfer coefficient. It can be upto 3 times that of oil, depending on the oil. Apart from that, water and oil don't mix, so you'll be running 2 separate systems on the same rig. Also oil, being af a heavier viscosity will require a heavier pumping system as well as bigger diameter piping, radiators ect. So I got to ask, is it really worth it?

Theres a section in the sticky regarding oil, and several threads we've all answered in as to why its bad,
I suggested the Peltier system as an alternative functionwise, making it pretty is your job hehe, I know ryans rig is a little all over the place but its a constantly changing set up, he doesn't need my Ocd cable advice :)
bottom line is that oil is crap at cooling so stick to water though
^And a little black duck has the engineering background to prove it :p
**Edit to post links,
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/276288-11-mineral-links is the section,
and http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/276602-11-water-cooling-mineral-king-noise-great-temperatures is my personal favourite, the guy just wouldn't quit lol
Thanks Duck
Moto

idroid

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012

OMG no no no no no.... i am so sorry i didn't specify that.

i want to do something like this:

front_angle.jpg

the only difference is that instead of using standard air cooling i will use watercooling, the water and oil WILL NEVER meet at any point.

let me put it this way: i want to take my already watercooled PC and put it inside of an aquarium filled with oil.

idroid

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012

i will use watercooling, i know that for sure but i am asking if i can take my already watercooled PC and place inside of an aquarium filled with oil.

idroid

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012

Well, i doing it for two reasons: Aesthetics and noise.

I suppose that the oil will keep the fans quiet and the aquarium + decoration will make it look cool, right?

idroid

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012

I have high quality compression fittings so filtration shouldn't be a problem

the oil... well, its not supposed to get hot because my watercooling system should be able to disipate about 2700w of heat (dual 560s and single 480) specially with the new high CFM fans i will purchase.... anyways, my room temp is about 17°C

idroid

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012

i am thinking in placing the rads under the little rocks (which are gonna be red btw) and if not i will simply place it on a side of the aquarium.... i might have to mod it a bit but for the first time in a long time i have a lot of time to spare :lol:

The oil will get hot because its in direct contact with the motherboard and other heat-producing parts,
so you are thinking/hoping that the cool water passing through tubing in the oil will take out that heat and take it to the rads?
I'm pretty sure the heat transference properties of W/c tubing isn't all that good
I see problems if you do go down this route man, and it'd be a shame to toast that Pc,
Good luck if you do do it, but I seriously advise against it man :)
**Edit**
And if you put the rad under the gravel inside the aquarium, the heat will just go back into the oil, again, not good, mount the W/c rad outside if you want it to do its job :p
Moto

idroid

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012

But the motherboard and ram are watercooled too :(

the thing i don't understand is that what cools the oil in most oil submerged PCs? anyways, it shouldn't get very hot, right? and even if it does... wouldn't my WC system be way more than enough to dissipate that heat from the crucial parts??

i atleast want to try to do this... and if i fried it.. well, that means i will have to re-order everything again and keep my water-cooling system only :lol:

Every part of the mobo produces some heat, the powerphases, the capacitors, every trace has power running through it which creates heat,
Your W/c loop will handle the heat from parts blocked if the rad is mounted externally yes,
by the looks of that Puget pic, they pump the oil through the rad which has fans to cool it in the normal fashion, thats harsh on a pump due to viscosity issues,
I know money isn't an issue for you, and I admire the spirit you show to exploring cooling but I'd hate to see good money wasted on a bad idea
Moto

idroid

Honorable
Aug 18, 2012

can i use a small 240mm THICK radiator with some high RPM dives a pump like this one: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/14961/ex-pmp-173/Swiftech_Dual_Extreme_Duty_Small_Form_Factor_12_VDC_Industrial_PWM_Pump_-_Black_MCP35X2-BK.html?tl=g30c107s153 and place them inside of a small box with sound suppressing material and make two little holes to route two tubes from the aquarium to the 240mm radiator too keep the oil cool?

Edit: even if i fry it... it wont be a total waste of money because i will keep the knowledge :)

the rad has to be open to the air to effectively remove the heat form the water running through it,
but yes, rad outside and tubing into the oil shouldn't pose any problems as long as your connections are solid, I'd use sealant on the barb part of the fittings and make damn sure the collar was tight :)
got to go sleep now mate, nightshifts :)
I'll check in later though
Moto

Status
Not open for further replies.