Ultimate Plex server

raqeebahmed130

Prominent
Sep 24, 2017
Hi guys

Im looking at building my own plex server but need some help and advice.

I have atm 20tb of media (still increasing) mostly in true hd 1080p. I have around 15 members of my family and friends who would like to have access. My home broadband can not handle more the 1 stream so i am going to colocate the server.

Regarding the server it going to be a 2u rackmount, dual cpu and plenty of ram. My budget is about £14,000. I know thats alot and its overkill but i want to future proof it and make sure nothing is left to chance.

Can someone help and tell me what are the most important hardware considerations i should make? It will only be used as a plex server and nothing else.

should i sas or sata?

what is ssd cache and how would it help?

What other settings hardware or software can i change to make it work as i intend and as fast as possible?

https://youtu.be/Ur7qWYH5F-s

The above link is to a video made of a server. Alot of what he says i like but im not that advanced in computer software or hardware. Is there anyone who understands what hes saying and can help?

Thanks for reading guys i really appreciate any help you can give me

Solution
Your budget might be that high, but what you would be doing is probably illegal since you would be violating the copyright of all the media you are allowing access to.

USAFRet

Titan

" I have around 15 members of my family and friends who would like to have access."
Distribution rights? Publicly available movie server?
hmmm......

Would it happen? Probably not. But he might just get a takedown request. Then either lawyer up (and still probably lose), or give up the large hardware investment.

USAFRet

Titan

A home server, inside your LAN is one thing.

"so i am going to colocate the server"
Open it to the outside world is a whole different thing. Family members or not.

bignastyid

Titan
Whether you think they will get caught or not illegal activity is not allowed in the forums per the rules of conduct.

In order for this to be legal you'd need the content owners permission to stream it and you'll likely have to pay for that and i doubt its cheap.

lakimens

Honorable

Oh, that is different. Can't he go the way of virtual LAN with this?

TRENDING THREADS