Ultimate Terrain - Utter Dissappointment

dallas

I had USA Roads and loved it. I had FreeFlow Florida and I loved the high
resolution coastlines so much I figured it would be worth upgrading to
UTUSA. to get them for the whole USA.

Here was FreeFlow Florida's hi res coastline and USA Roads before
uninstalling:

http://photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/Screenies/?action=view&current=FFlowFlorida001.jpg

Here is UTUSA's Florida now:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/Screenies/UTUSAinstalleddefaultroads000.jpg

So, lets total the score: I didn't get hi res coast, I got medium res coast
and I can no longer make out the roads down below because they are generally
the same color as the landclass, so I lost USA Roads. So far that's two
losses and no wins.

UTUSA'a new landclass? Looks like the old landclass to me.

And what's with the load times? Now when I load something in the USA I can
read 2 chapters of War and Peace, come back and it's still loading. I swear
it's longer than the load time for MegaScenery. but now it's for every
airport in the USA.

The only plus so far are the night lighting effects.. Those are nice.

Do they have alternate freeware textures for the UTUSA roads at Avsim like
they did for USA Roads? Maybe I can put lipstick on this pig.

Dallas

william

>I had USA Roads and loved it. I had FreeFlow Florida and I loved the high
> resolution coastlines so much I figured it would be worth upgrading to
> UTUSA. to get them for the whole USA.
>
> Here was FreeFlow Florida's hi res coastline and USA Roads before
> uninstalling:
>
> http://photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/Screenies/?action=view&current=FFlowFlorida001.jpg
>
> Here is UTUSA's Florida now:
>
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/Screenies/UTUSAinstalleddefaultroads000.jpg
>
> So, lets total the score: I didn't get hi res coast, I got medium res
> coast
> and I can no longer make out the roads down below because they are
> generally
> the same color as the landclass, so I lost USA Roads. So far that's two
> losses and no wins.
>
> UTUSA'a new landclass? Looks like the old landclass to me.
>
> And what's with the load times? Now when I load something in the USA I
> can
> read 2 chapters of War and Peace, come back and it's still loading. I
> swear
> it's longer than the load time for MegaScenery. but now it's for every
> airport in the USA.
>
> The only plus so far are the night lighting effects.. Those are nice.
>
> Do they have alternate freeware textures for the UTUSA roads at Avsim like
> they did for USA Roads? Maybe I can put lipstick on this pig.
>
> Dallas

Doesnt look too good...is that why this guy got pissed off? :)
http://photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/Screenies/?action=view&current=PilotAutogyroEbola.jpg

crash

Dallas wrote:
> I had USA Roads and loved it. I had FreeFlow Florida and I loved the
> high resolution coastlines so much I figured it would be worth
> upgrading to UTUSA. to get them for the whole USA.

I left FFL higher on the food chain in the scenery library, like it
better - although I haven't flown a LOT in FL since UT, what I was familiar
with was better with FFL.......

> Here was FreeFlow Florida's hi res coastline and USA Roads before
> uninstalling:
>
> http://photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/Screenies/?action=view&current=FFlowFlorida001.jpg
>
> Here is UTUSA's Florida now:
>
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/Screenies/UTUSAinstalleddefaultroads000.jpg
>
> So, lets total the score: I didn't get hi res coast, I got medium res
> coast and I can no longer make out the roads down below because they
> are generally the same color as the landclass, so I lost USA Roads.
> So far that's two losses and no wins.
>
> UTUSA'a new landclass? Looks like the old landclass to me.

Here's what UT did for Ajo, AZ - first four are default with just the time
of day changed, last two shots are "after" with UT
http://photobucket.com/albums/v674/ArkyTazman/ajo/?action=view&current=ajo1.jpg&slideshow=paused&interval=3

> And what's with the load times? Now when I load something in the USA
> I can read 2 chapters of War and Peace, come back and it's still
> now it's for every airport in the USA.

Somethings wrong!!

> The only plus so far are the night lighting effects.. Those are nice.
>
> Do they have alternate freeware textures for the UTUSA roads at Avsim
> like they did for USA Roads? Maybe I can put lipstick on this pig.

The old alternate textures work - same files are replaced as w/USA Roads

> Dallas

.... there came a great "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com>
flying, and he bore tidings beyond hope, crying:

>So, lets total the score: I didn't get hi res coast, I got medium res coast
>and I can no longer make out the roads down below because they are generally
>the same color as the landclass, so I lost USA Roads. So far that's two
>losses and no wins.

>UTUSA'a new landclass? Looks like the old landclass to me.

UT USA has no landclass except urban!

you have to "do the sandwich" (see here:
http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=12504&PN=1 )

>And what's with the load times? Now when I load something in the USA I can
>read 2 chapters of War and Peace, come back and it's still loading. I swear
>it's longer than the load time for MegaScenery. but now it's for every
>airport in the USA.

this is not normal, you should post this issue in that forum! average
load times should be about 30-50% higher than without UT, i.e. not
600% higher (MegaScenery)

>The only plus so far are the night lighting effects.. Those are nice.

you don't care for coastlines? lakes? rivers? accurate cities?

>Do they have alternate freeware textures for the UTUSA roads at Avsim like
>they did for USA Roads? Maybe I can put lipstick on this pig.

get NuRoads 2.0 (2.1 coming soon!) from FSGenesis!!!!

>Dallas

regs, Cole!
--
"This is an extremely primitive and paranoid culture."
(James T. Kirk on 20th century America, Star Trek IV)

Support in the UT forum is pretty good, so you may have more luck
there. Re. landclass, see Cole. Re. load times, the clue here is that
you had USA Roads. Something wrong with the UT installer: USA Roads
makes a copy of the default roads, and when you turned off USA Roads
before installing UT (you did do that, right?) it reactivated that
copy. Well, UT doesn't deactivate the copy. As a result, you have too
many roads. This would account for messy looking ground and higher load
times. Solution: go into your scenery library and look for something
like "Default roads." Uncheck it, restart sim.

Don't know what to say about shoreline resolution. In my experience,
it's great, but I'm not shocked to find out that there are places where
Scott Gridley has done it better, since he wasn't trying to do the
whole country.

One more thing about roads and load time: you probably know this
already, but I find that having "Residential roads" on is too much.
Slows load, eats frames in areas like Los Angeles, and creates more
clutter than eye candy. Unless I'm trying to find a particular street,
I always turned them off, both in USA Roads and now in UT.

dallas

"Cole Turner"
> UT USA has no landclass except urban!

Funny!.. Last night I was flying over rural Texas and thought, "Well, this
landclass is better." Now you tell me there is no rural landclass in
UTUSA... FS Placebo effect.

I *think* the urban landclass could be a step backwards? Can anyone offer
options?

> get NuRoads 2.0 (2.1 coming soon!) from FSGenesis!!!!

How strongly do you recommend NuRoads? I've seen the screenshots and
thought "no big deal". The screenshots seem a bit blurry so maybe they need
better marketing. And how well do they work with UTUSA's night lighting?

Dallas

william

> "William"
>> Doesnt look too good...is that why this guy got pissed off? :)
>>
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/Screenies/PilotAutogyroEbola.jpg
>
> No... that's Ebola Joe. He flew his Autogyro over Africa and now his face
> is melting. :)
>
> Dallas

aha!...poor Joe :)

dallas

"David Wilson-Okamura"
> higher load times.

I rebooted and perhaps the load times are not as bad.. I'll work on it...
Thanks.

Dallas

dallas

"CRaSH"
> Here's what UT did for Ajo, AZ - first four are default with just the time
> of day changed, last two shots are "after" with UT

http://photobucket.com/albums/v674/ArkyTazman/ajo/?action=view&current=ajo1.jpg&slideshow=paused&interval=3

I remember those, in fact I that's where I got the impression that UTUSA has
some great landclass improvement. But, according to Cole (and Flight1) the
only thing UTUSA would change in those screenshots is your little urban area
and the road down into the pit.

Dallas

crash

Dallas wrote:
> UTUSA has some great landclass improvement. But, according to Cole
> (and Flight1) the only thing UTUSA would change in those screenshots
> is your little urban area and the road down into the pit.

And it added a whole bunch of nice rivers in the desert - must have been
right after the bi-annual frog strangler rain... yuk yuk

Lots of folks in the s/w have complained about that unreal effect... I've
tried it with steams turned off, but then you don't have them in other
places where you should, so there's no half way setting (and it takes setup
a loong time to switch things).... oh well, overall it still is an
improvement!

dallas

"CRaSH"
> I left FFL higher on the food chain in the scenery library, like it
> better - although I haven't flown a LOT in FL since UT, what I was
familiar
> with was better with FFL.......

Does that work ok? Just Install FFFL and put it on top? Don't you loose
the roads that way?

Anyway, I found a discussion of how to work on both here:
http://fs-freeflow.com/forum2/index.php?topic=331.0

My head hurts after reading the two pages.

Dallas

> "Cole Turner"

>> get NuRoads 2.0 (2.1 coming soon!) from FSGenesis!!!!
>
> How strongly do you recommend NuRoads? I've seen the screenshots and
> thought "no big deal". The screenshots seem a bit blurry so maybe they
> need
> better marketing. And how well do they work with UTUSA's night lighting?
>
> Dallas
NuRoads 2.1 should be out in September.
Compatible with just about everything!
(FS2004 all continents, all seasons/ Ult.Terrain/ USA Roads/ AmData Roads/
BEV/ Roads & Rivers of Europe/ All Roads of Europe/ etc etc)
Version 2.1 will give several optional choices for DayTime Roads, NightTime
Roads, Stream width, color and banks, and UT lights.
The new version will be FREE for all registered users, and the same low
price for new users.
Read more here:
http://portal.fsgenesis.net/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=14718#14718

Look at the pictures here:
http://portal.fsgenesis.net/modules.php?set_albumName=album111&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

.... there came a great "Dallas" <Cybnorm@spam_me_not.Hotmail.Com>
flying, and he bore tidings beyond hope, crying:

>Funny!.. Last night I was flying over rural Texas and thought, "Well, this
>landclass is better." Now you tell me there is no rural landclass in
>UTUSA... FS Placebo effect.

hehe, yes!

>I *think* the urban landclass could be a step backwards? Can anyone offer
>options?

well, it may not be accurate, but the important thing is it fits the
residential roads, i.e. no residential roads in forests or deserts any
more!

>How strongly do you recommend NuRoads? I've seen the screenshots and
>thought "no big deal". The screenshots seem a bit blurry so maybe they need
>better marketing. And how well do they work with UTUSA's night lighting?

I might be biased since I am a better tester, but tbh I can't think of
anyone using the UT residential roads WITHOUT NuRoads - because
without it, the ground looks pretty much like a road map, no
obstructions, like overhanging trees for example. Looks fake!
NuRoads was created primarily to remove this problem.
Now version 2.1. will be out soon and this version will present a
choice of textures!
Check out the FSGenesis forum, Frank, myself and the other testers
will leak info as it comes

thanks, Marc aka "Cole"

--
"This is an extremely primitive and paranoid culture."
(James T. Kirk on 20th century America, Star Trek IV)

I was disappointed with it too. I got the Canada terrain and frankly the
advertised view of Hope, BC did not look that way at all.. I know it was
working because there were insertions of a few roads but that's it. I had
the settings set to incorporate all the features.

Mike
>I had USA Roads and loved it. I had FreeFlow Florida and I loved the high
> resolution coastlines so much I figured it would be worth upgrading to
> UTUSA. to get them for the whole USA.
>
> Here was FreeFlow Florida's hi res coastline and USA Roads before
> uninstalling:
>
> http://photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/Screenies/?action=view&current=FFlowFlorida001.jpg
>
> Here is UTUSA's Florida now:
>
> http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v101/Dallas52/Screenies/UTUSAinstalleddefaultroads000.jpg
>
> So, lets total the score: I didn't get hi res coast, I got medium res
> coast
> and I can no longer make out the roads down below because they are
> generally
> the same color as the landclass, so I lost USA Roads. So far that's two
> losses and no wins.
>
> UTUSA'a new landclass? Looks like the old landclass to me.
>
> And what's with the load times? Now when I load something in the USA I
> can
> read 2 chapters of War and Peace, come back and it's still loading. I
> swear
> it's longer than the load time for MegaScenery. but now it's for every
> airport in the USA.
>
> The only plus so far are the night lighting effects.. Those are nice.
>
> Do they have alternate freeware textures for the UTUSA roads at Avsim like
> they did for USA Roads? Maybe I can put lipstick on this pig.
>
> Dallas

As far as I can tell it installed properly. I have the Ulitmate Terrain
icon on the desktop. I fire it up and select all the options wanted usually
all of 'em) and it takes off and does its thing. I then fire up FS and it
indicates that it will take a few minutes to do do the changes.

I'll do a scree shot and go to the UT forum with it
Thanks

Mike
"Beech45Whiskey" <pjricc@gmail.com> wrote in message
> mikepic <mikepic@insightbb.com> wrote:
>
>> I was disappointed with it too. I got the Canada terrain and frankly the
>> advertised view of Hope, BC did not look that way at all..
>
> Coming from someone who developed a small, freeware enhancement to the NY
> State lakes, rivers, and coastlines and made the scenery file available on
> Avsim and Flightsim.com last January, I have to ask: Are you absolutely
> sure that the install process properly completed all of its tasks?
>
> With regard to a coastline enhancement add-on scenery as large as the UT
> Canada or US product, there are *hundreds* of MS default water placement
> and coastline scenery files that must be moved, not copied, to backup
> directories. If not done to completion, the sim will still find the
> default files and use them along with the enhanced versions.
>
> The end result is that the default lakes and coastlines will appear
> through
> the enhancements. Since the default lakes and coastlines actually have
> large position errors in the sim (that is, lakes and coastlines were off
> by
> kilometers east or west when compared to their actual correct positions),
> the default scenery would "fill in" much of the enhanced scenery, as you
> seem to be reporting.
>
> I recommend taking a screenshot of the areas where you see a discrepancy
> between your installation and that of the advertisement, then post it to
> the UT support forum. Ask them what could have gone wrong during the
> install that resulted in this discrepancy.
>
> I suspect that you will discover that something is not right with your
> installation of UT.
>
> --
> Peter

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----

Looks great on my system.

???

Bob

.... there came a great Beech45Whiskey <pjricc@gmail.com> flying, and
he bore tidings beyond hope, crying:

>Cole Turner <cole@nospam> wrote:
>
>> thanks, Marc aka "Cole"
>
>aka Tina.

aka PHASE DRAGON (for those with a VEEEERY good memory!)