News Ultra Accelerator Link is an open-standard interconnect for AI accelerators being developed by AMD, Broadcom, Intel, Google, Microsoft, others

Status
Not open for further replies.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
I had expected this to naturally follow from CXL and its more recent support for switched fabrics. I guess that's still not out of the question, but then it would appear more needs to be layered atop it, to adapt it for use in accelerator networking.

The mention of Ultra Ethernet is also interesting, not least because Tenstorrent, Habana, and others are using 100 Gb Ethernet for their interconnect. Ethernet is higher latency than CXL, but perhaps lower overhead (assuming we're talking about within a chassis), at least for MTU-sized transfers?

kjfatl

Reputable
Apr 15, 2020
Nvidia is a lot like Netscape at its heyday. A decade from now they might not even exist as an independent company becoming another division of Oracle alongside DEC and Sun Microsystems.
On the other hand, 'it might be different this time'.

Nvidia has a bubble of cash. You will know it is over when they start trying to acquire competition because internal growth has stalled.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
Nvidia is a lot like Netscape at its heyday.
Not sure about that. I think Netscape was overvalued by investors just looking for an early way to make an internet play.

Netscape also just sold software (web server & browser) that could easily be duplicated by Microsoft and bundled with their OS. Hardware cannot be given away, in a similar fashion. These AI processors use very large amounts of silicon, fabbed on the very latest process nodes. That always costs a lot of money, even without the current inflated margins.

I'm not saying Nvidia isn't overvalued, though. Their stock price could be inflated by investors just looking for some analogous way to make an AI play, since AI is probably the most transformative development in tech since the internet.

Status
Not open for further replies.