Ultra budget gaming PC

Mike_314

Commendable
Jan 21, 2017
Hi, I have two kids 8 and 10 year which have birthdays in a couple of weeks :) They are looking for PC, and I really would really like to to draw them from theirs stupid tabs. They already enjoying code.org but I need my computer for myself...

Buying two sets of hardware and displays going to make a hole in our family budget, so I came to following configuration (prices are without VAT):

• CPU -- Pentium G4560 (Kaby, BOX) @ 53 euro
    I think there are no alternative now to this CPU, the i3 just makes no sense, and i5 is just too expensive (and would require better video card as well)

RAM -- G.Skill Value 8GB DDR4 8GNT (2400 CL15, 1x8Gb) @49.16 euro
    I decided to get a 2400 one, as it seems like there are + several FPS in some games... sometimes... And there is an easy way to plug second one, and go DUAL channel 16Gb, sometimes later.

Motherboard -- MSI B250M PRO-VH @60.42 euro
    I though to get an Gibabyte alternative, but this one has 2x PCE-E slots, and I need WiFi card, and I think dual slot video card would make it problematic to use PCE-E slot on micro-ATX... Plus it costs the same as Gigabyte...

ZOTAC GeForce 2Gb GTX1050 Mini @105.80 euro
    I am torn between 4Gb 1050 Ti and 2Gb 1050... 1050 Ti is like 25 euro more (and since I need two of them, it's 50 more), and well, I am not sure it is worth it... Everything above (like 1060) seems require a better CPU to utilise the power, and cost just too much.
    And I was not considering ATI, because the PCs will run Ubuntu and at the moment there are some stuff going with AMD drivers, I just dont want to spend extra time configuring that. There will be Steam as well, and most AAA (and not only) games which go native on linux require nvidia drivers.

Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I @23.5 euro
    PCE-E WiFi board with bluetooth, works in 5GHz as well.

The rest components I have from my older PCs (couple of cases, power, etc).

Not sure I can think anything better on the budget. And I think this will not be affected my AMD Ryzen upcoming. Because there are no modern CPU from AMD for such money.

Update: Since prices are seems too good, I getting them form computeruniverse.net. The site has like 0 (or 1) rating on trustpilot, but I and a lot of my friends had ordered several times there, and everything was good...

In all fairness those are insanely good prices & no you're not going to do better on that budget full stop.

The 1050ti's are absolutely worth €25 more each though , there's a huge performance difference between a 1050 2gb & a 1050ti 4gb!

Hardware wise that is a good choice and you have a decent upgrade patch for future.

2 things to note
1) Get 2x4gb vs 1x8gb of ram. Ram is designed to work in pairs and there is a 10-15% performance difference doing so. I get the "I am add another chip latter" mentality but ram can be very picky and even getting the exact same model of chip may still result in the two chips being unstable together.

2) A good PSU is an invenstment, do not cheap out on this. There are so many junk PSUs out on the market as there is no regulating body. These PSUs print a high sounding number on their sticker yet have no ability to output that number and no ability to protect your parts from any electrical surges. When these PSUs die (when not if), they fry the rest of your computer and some have even caused house fires.
Do yourself a big favor and get a good unit from SeaSonic or Superflower or the B2/G2/G3 serries of EVGA, probably a 500-600w model to support future upgrades. A quality PSU will last you for many years through several upgrades, as I said it is an investment; and besides you should never go cheap on the part that can destroy all the other parts.

Mike_314

Commendable
Jan 21, 2017
Tempting devils! OK I going bust a bank (a small one!) and change the video card to Palit Xstorm 4Gb 1050 Ti, that is 127 euro.

As for 2x 4Gb RAM, I do this way:
I will buy 1x 2x8Gb kit, and use it on two PC, then when I think I will need 16Gb, I just move 1x to other pc, and buy another 2x8Gb pair :)

Mike_314

Commendable
Jan 21, 2017
Alright, thanks a lot! Order placed :)
BwvxVYd3z.png

spec

Shipping cost in ridiculous, but I am too far away :)

salerhino

Reputable
Mar 16, 2016

Good luck with new builds, I am always for buying used parts, because for same money you can get better PC, but at least you have warranty.

Mike_314

Commendable
Jan 21, 2017
Well, the memory I choices delaying my order (expected to be in stock 28 Feb) , so I cancel memory there, and grabbed G.Skill Ripjaws V (2x8) DDR4-2400 for approx equal amount of money and that considering overseas delivery, at newegg sales.