Question Ultra cheap low profile video card for light gaming

Feb 12, 2019
Hi everyone. I'm going to upgrade a preassembled core i5 (6th gen.) Trust desktop, which is going to be used for everyday usage and for very light gaming.
So, the rig is:

Core i5 6th gen(as mentioned before);
Trust 1151 mobo;
8gb ddr4 ram;
128gb kingston ssd;
500gb hdd (for storage);
250w psu, which I'm sure going to update.
So, since this pc is a piece of crap, except for the cpu and the whole rig is built on a budget, I want to spend the least possible for a gpu.
I was looking for a low profile video card, new or used under 50€ (about 55$). Again, the pc is going to be used for daily usage, web browsing, full hd videos playing and very light gaming (like The Sims and stuff). What card do you suggest me to pick?

Wolfshadw

Titan
Hi everyone. I'm going to upgrade a preassembled core i5 (6th gen.) Trust desktop, which is going to be used for everyday usage and for very light gaming.
So, the rig is:

Core i5 6th gen(as mentioned before);
Trust 1151 mobo;
8gb ddr4 ram;
128gb kingston ssd;
500gb hdd (for storage);
250w psu, which I'm sure going to update.
So, since this pc is a piece of crap, except for the cpu and the whole rig is built on a budget, I want to spend the least possible for a gpu.
I was looking for a low profile video card, new or used under 50€ (about 55$). Again, the pc is going to be used for daily usage, web browsing, full hd videos playing and very light gaming (like The Sims and stuff). What card do you suggest me to pick?

You're not going to find anything new and worth while for that low of a budget. You might find a GT 1030, but more likely a GT 730. GT 710/720s are not worth it. Anything above the GT 730/1030 is likely going to need a new power supply (which I understand is in the works). If you can get the new power supply in there first, then you could probably start looking for low-profile versions of the GT 950/GT 1050.

-Wolf sends

Feb 12, 2019
A i5 6th gen isn't a piece of crap, it can handle up to a GTX 1060 or even better cards at high resolutions.

For that budget you can get a 960, 950ti, RX 450, stuff like that.
In fact I said it is a piece of crap, exept from the cpu, which is very good. Though, the whole system isn't as much. The motherboard especially. Anyway, the cards you mentioned are as three times as much as both my budget and how much I paid the whole pc🤣🤣

Feb 12, 2019
You're not going to find anything new and worth while for that low of a budget. You might find a GT 1030, but more likely a GT 730. GT 710/720s are not worth it. Anything above the GT 730/1030 is likely going to need a new power supply (which I understand is in the works). If you can get the new power supply in there first, then you could probably start looking for low-profile versions of the GT 950/GT 1050.

-Wolf sends
Sure I'm going to need to upgrade the power supply (I was thinking to some evgas), but as for the video card my biggest worry was that it wasn't worth it. I also was considering the gt 730, but is it any good for the usage I mentioned? And more important, is it going to last for a few years? Because, even if I saw it running gta 5 (at ultra low details of course), is it going to "hold" the everyday usage in a few years?
Then, as for used cards, what can I look for (if I'm luky to find some bargains here in Italy...)?. You said gt 9/10xx, but it sounds me like something old like 2009. Are they any good?
Anyway, thanks everyone for replying

Wolfshadw

Titan
The GT 730 is going to handle HD video and light gaming with ease. For your situation, it is my top recommendation as you're unlikely to find newer units at a lower cost Granted, it was released almost five years ago; there is no reason to spend more than necessary.

-Wolf sends

crystalcity

Proper
Dec 5, 2018
I would get a PSU first. Then go shopping for old used GPUs. You can game fine on stuff like GTX670.. those are falling into the $50 price range. Anything with 1000+ cuda cores is going to work fairly well.

Feb 12, 2019
I would get a PSU first. Then go shopping for old used GPUs. You can game fine on stuff like GTX670.. those are falling into the $50 price range. Anything with 1000+ cuda cores is going to work fairly well.
Well, the reason why I'm looking for a low profile card is not for the power supply (which I planned from the beginning to upgrade), but because I would be likely to have problems fitting in a bigger one, like the 670 you mentioned, since the pc is a preassembled. If I didn't have his problem, I could put a 1gb gtx 470 which I already have. I could just have changed the psu (since that cosumes as much as a truck) and the job was done, but unfortunstely I need small cars. Otherwise, I can use a PCI extensor and put the card somewhere else. May it be a good idea?

Feb 12, 2019
The GT 730 is going to handle HD video and light gaming with ease. For your situation, it is my top recommendation as you're unlikely to find newer units at a lower cost Granted, it was released almost five years ago; there is no reason to spend more than necessary.

-Wolf sends
So, if I haven't got any other choice, I'm gonna go for the gt730

Phazoner

Distinguished
In fact I said it is a piece of crap, exept from the cpu, which is very good. Though, the whole system isn't as much. The motherboard especially. Anyway, the cards you mentioned are as three times as much as both my budget and how much I paid the whole pc🤣🤣

My fault, didn't read that part. Anyways, you can definitely get a used 750Ti for around 50$. There are brand new chinese assembled 750Tis under 50$ right now in eBay and in apps like Wallapop use to be better deals than in the internet.

Feb 12, 2019
My fault, didn't read that part. Anyways, you can definitely get a used 750Ti for around 50$. There are brand new chinese assembled 750Tis under 50$ right now in eBay and in apps like Wallapop use to be better deals than in the internet.
Right, the 750ti. I actually forgot about that card. That will be in my options.
Just a final question? Will it be a good idea if I plug my gtx 470 via a pci-e extensor (because that's the only way to plug big gpus)? I wanna say, is it going to be worth it? I know it's going to be a slightly weird rig, but my main goal is to build that pc for the cheapest possible

Phazoner

Distinguished
Right, the 750ti. I actually forgot about that card. That will be in my options.
Just a final question? Will it be a good idea if I plug my gtx 470 via a pci-e extensor (because that's the only way to plug big gpus)? I wanna say, is it going to be worth it? I know it's going to be a slightly weird rig, but my main goal is to build that pc for the cheapest possible

Depends in how cheap can you get the extensor and how comfortable are you with its performance and consumption. Pretty sure that it can hold good FPS with low settings and maybe lower resolutions than 1080p in certain games. But yes it can still defend itself.

Feb 12, 2019
Depends in how cheap can you get the extensor and how comfortable are you with its performance and consumption. Pretty sure that it can hold good FPS with low settings and maybe lower resolutions than 1080p in certain games. But yes it can still defend itself.
Consumption and performance won't be a problem since I'm changing the psu and the pc's user is just gonna play The Sims 3 and stuff like that... I also have that gtx 470 which I don't know where to throw in, so... If you say me that it is gonna work properly, that will be fine.
Anyway, thanks everyone for replying

Wolfshadw

Titan

While you could use the extention to connect it, you're going to need to find a way to mount the card so it doesn't short out and fry the rest of your system. Without being able to mount it, somehow, it's just a bad idea and could cost you your entire system if it shorts.

-Wolf sends

Feb 12, 2019
While you could use the extention to connect it, you're going to need to find a way to mount the card so it doesn't short out and fry the rest of your system. Without being able to mount it, somehow, it's just a bad idea and could cost you your entire system if it shorts.

-Wolf sends
I also thought about that. Sure I'm not going to just lay the gpu on the bottom of the case from the part of the pcb and letting everything short and screw up🤣🤣. Of course, I'll also take care of the airflow and other things

Those cheap 750 Ti are not real 750 Ti cards, they are fakes. Some junk they put together and put in a fake BIOS so the system reads it as a 750Ti, but it's probably really a 740 chip or 730. GPUZ actually added in something to identify the fake cards. https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/...detection-capability-to-combat-counterfeiting

Well, the reason why I'm looking for a low profile card is not for the power supply (which I planned from the beginning to upgrade), but because I would be likely to have problems fitting in a bigger one, like the 670 you mentioned, since the pc is a preassembled. If I didn't have his problem, I could put a 1gb gtx 470 which I already have. I could just have changed the psu (since that cosumes as much as a truck) and the job was done, but unfortunstely I need small cars. Otherwise, I can use a PCI extensor and put the card somewhere else. May it be a good idea?

If you can't fit in a full size card, did you check on what power supply will fit? The smaller good quality drives are pretty expensive, not worth at all to spend $60 + on a power supply to run a slow video card. If you are willing to spend the money on a new PSU, then you may as well up the budget for the card and put in something useful like a low profile 1030 or 750, or do nothing and put in a 730 GDDR5. Or move the whole thing into a larger case so you don't have to mess with finding a smaller good PSU and video card.

Feb 12, 2019
If you can't fit in a full size card, did you check on what power supply will fit? The smaller good quality drives are pretty expensive, not worth at all to spend $60 + on a power supply to run a slow video card. If you are willing to spend the money on a new PSU, then you may as well up the budget for the card and put in something useful like a low profile 1030 or 750, or do nothing and put in a 730 GDDR5. Or move the whole thing into a larger case so you don't have to mess with finding a smaller good PSU and video card.
All the stuff is to be checked. I haven't yet seen phisically the pc and I'm going to do so in a few days. My options are: gt 730, a used gt 750ti (of course original) or the 470 (case and psu allowing). The original psu should hopefully be a standard atx. If not, I'm getting a low tdp low profile gpu like the gt 730 and the gtx 750ti

Phazoner

Distinguished

If it is a fake, claim to eBay, have a free 730/740 for free LOL