Ultra fast boot does not work with Gigabyte z370 motherboard

ededed3

Prominent
Feb 10, 2018
Ultra fast boot does not work when second brand new HDD is added. The following is my new built PC setup:

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits

Bios:
Boot mode: UEFI (Windows is in UEFI mode as well)
CSM: disabled
Secure Boot: enabled
Fast Boot: Ultra fast boot
Last Boot HDD Only

Hardware:
Gigabyte z370 aorus ultra gaming motherboard
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1060 AMP 6gb
Crucial MX300 525GB SATA 6Gb/s Solid State Drive (Windows drive)
Seagate BarraCuda 4TB 3.5-Inch SATA III 6 Gb/s Internal Hard Drive (ST4000DM005) (Data Drive)
Intel Core i7-8700
Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16 Memory Kit - Black
Optional-test alternative (see notes below): Samsung 2tb 2.5 inches HDD SATA III 6 Gb/s (about 4 years old)

Troubleshoot:
Without second Seagate 4tb HDD added, ultra fast boot works great, it takes about 15s to boot.
After adding the 4tb drive, the splash screen is no longer skipped (the page that has instructions to enter bios), thus ultra fast boot doesn't work any more. And the splash screen takes about 6 seconds.
When replace the Seagate 4tb HDD with Samsung 2tb 2.5 inches HDD (about 4 years old) as second data drive, ultra fast boot works again.

Things have tried but not working:
1. Formatted the 4tb seagate hard drive (also alignment is fine, good offset, have tried to wipe the drive too)
2. Reinstalled windows in UEFI mode with only SSD in it
3. Changed sata ports (tried all 6 of them) and sata cable
4. Partitioned the 4tb HDD to two 2TBs
5. Have tried formatted the HDD as both GPT or MBR
6. Disabled system protection on the HDD, and deleted all restore points.
7. Update Bios and drivers to the latest (especially AHCI driver, Bios version is F7h)
8. Checked the firmware of the seagate 4TB (already the latest)

Diagnostics (the new seagate 4tb HDD is very healthy):
1. I have used various disk diagnostics tools (AIDA64, CrystalDiskInfo, Sea-tools, hd-tune etc.) to check if the drive has any defects, they all showed the drive is healthy.
2. When I check the disk performance, the new HDD is much faster than my Samsung 2tb HDD in various types of reads and writes.
3. Compared the Samsung 2tb HDD with Seagate 4tb HDD (SMART values, and specs, look the same, both are using SATA III 6 Gb/s )

I can't think of anything else to try, it just seems the Gigabyte z370 aorus ultra gaming motherboard cannot go together with Seagate BarraCuda 4TB HDD if you want to you ultra fast boot. Please help me!!

NoelsTech

Prominent
Jun 9, 2017
Well you don't really need to have a Fast Boot really because all it does is make your PC boot faster but i would rather let your PC load slowly so it's ready for whatever you are using it for instead of making components struggle. I had that problem where my Fastboot didn't work and all i had to do is Enable it throgh the BIOS but also you could nower days get apps so i would also recommend them.

ededed3

Prominent
Feb 10, 2018

I know that it is not much gain from having ultra fastboot working, but I'm already so committed to solving the problem as I already spent quite long time on it. To make clarification, the ultra fastboot is a setting from BIOS, not the windows fastboot. I believe it has something to do with the HDD rather than Windows apps.

Set BIOS option for SATA Support to [Last Boot HDD Only].

SATA Support
[Last Boot HDD Only] Except for the previous boot drive, all SATA devices are disabled before the OS boot process completes.
[All Sata Devices] All SATA devices are functional in the operating system and during the POST. (Default)
This item is configurable only when Fast Boot is set to Enabled or Ultra Fast

ededed3

Prominent
Feb 10, 2018

Thanks for the advise, I forgot to mention that I have tried that too. I'll add it to the original post.