Ultra Low Background Noise Mic For commentary? *Read The Description*

Bryce Demar

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2013
Hello all I currently own a Blue snowball and have for several years. I am no audio master so the quality is good enough for me. What I cant deal with is the amount of background noise that is also picked up, that being anything from my keyboard and mouse to my air conditioning and PC's not so silent fans. When I record videos I record my mic into a separate track for later noise removal but that doesn't help when I am streaming or talking with / recording with friends seeing as I can remove the background noise audio as I speak.

* Does anyone have a solution / recommended microphone that only picks up noises from sources very close to it like my mouth?

*Also what does a shock mount do for my microphone I.

*PLEASE do NOT make any ignorant posts like get silent pc fans or turn off your AC. Thank You.

Solution

So those big streamers that you saw with amazing mic quality? They had $200+ setups so don't expect that kind of quality. Also what they do is they try to eliminate all noise by either moving their computer farther away or by turning down their volume on their mic and mashing their face up against their pop filter. I would go with the Audio Technica at2020 usb. You can find a pretty cheap pop filter (or make one...
You have no choice but to either turn down your mic almost to silent or to get a headset. You could also get a Zalman (http://www.zalman.com/eng/product/Product_Read.php?Idx=678). Its a mic that attaches to any pair of headphones and sounds pretty good.

Bryce Demar

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2013

Sorry But i find it hard to believe that there is no other solution. I have seen other steamers using desktop / studio mics and have relatively no background noise. There has to be another option than a headset mic.

I meant no cheap choice. What's your budget?

Bryce Demar

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2013

something like $125

So those big streamers that you saw with amazing mic quality? They had $200+ setups so don't expect that kind of quality. Also what they do is they try to eliminate all noise by either moving their computer farther away or by turning down their volume on their mic and mashing their face up against their pop filter. I would go with the Audio Technica at2020 usb. You can find a pretty cheap pop filter (or make one for cheaper) to go along with it and you will be happier with it. You will have to turn down the volume and mash your face up against it so you might want to consider buying or making a stand for it so its closer to your mouth.

Solution
the atr2500 is a cheap mans at2020usb+ at about 80% the quality. the blue yeti is another good choice.

the blue snowball has a serious issue with low volume which means gain needs to be high, hence static.

they are cardioid microphones so cancel out noise behind them and pick up in front of them. ideal placement is not right in front of you but a bit to the side.

shock mounts and arms are ideal if you can afford them. most pros use them. pop filters are nice too but you can make your own

if you are getting extreme room echo you could make a recording box up (box lined with foam)

Bryce Demar

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2013

Thank you for the response!