Ultra Wide vs 4k

zachkambich

Prominent
Apr 13, 2017
Hello,

Which monitor will look better graphically; an ultrawide or 4k? Specifically between the Acer Predator XB321HK 32" UltraHD LED Gaming Display Monitor w/ NVIDIA G-Sync and the ASUS PG348Q RoG SWIFT 34" Curved 21:9 QHD IPS G-Sync Monitor. I'm in the market for a new monitor and I just want the prettiest looking one! My rig can handle ether one, so it's not a question of having to dumb down specific graphical preferences. I just want to get the most bang for my buck! Thank you for your help!

Solution
In physical size, there isn't a lot of difference between the two. Use http://www.displaywars.com/ to compare. The 21:9 is a little wider, the 16:9 is a little taller.

In a game. Imagine you are standing a game world looking at a wall with a checker board on it. You'll see 16x9 squares or 21x9 depending on the monitor. The 16x9 will have more dots, more potential detail, but its still 16x9 squares you're seeing. Not 32x18.

I've had a PG348Q for a while now and I haven't found any game that hasn't had a 3440x1440 display option. I haven't played every game I own on it though, I must admit. So there may be some, but I haven't struggled in that respect at all.

Now I have 21x9, I don't want to go back.

tvhse_123

Commendable
Sep 17, 2016
Does 32" a good size for a 4K monitor? I mean can we use it with 100% scaling but still able to see text/icon very clear?
I've used the Dell P2415Q 24" 4K monitor and cannot use it without scaling upto 200% in order to read content on the screen, very unusable with 100% scaling on Windows.

zachkambich

Prominent
Apr 13, 2017
I'm not sure. I've never owned a 4K monitor. I can't seem to be able to find a definitive answer on which one will make a game look better. Pretty much everyone says it depends on the user. All I want to know is which monitor will make my game look best!!

pamelas_death

Prominent
Apr 13, 2017
I pretty much agree with this post:
https://bestultrawidemonitors.com/2017/04/01/4k-vs-ultrawide/

Your PC being able to run everything is a good start, you'll want to think about aspect ratio and supported content.

jfwerner

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017

I have both of those monitors sitting on my desk and can't decide which one I like better. I can run both on any games ultra settings with my titan xp so thats not an issue. My thoughts so far is 4k all the way for anything not gaming. The clarity is just so much better and the vertical size is really nice for browsing and photos. Gaming however is where I can't decide. The ultrawide has that really immersive field of view which is great. It also has a slightly higher fps which isn't that noticeable to me with gsync. My main issue with gaming on the ultrawide is everything appears smaller and obviously less clear compared to my vertically larger 4k. I'm leaning towards the 4k but that field of view thing keeps nagging at me. If only they made a larger ultrawide with pixel density comparable to a 4k screen.

nmb255

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
In physical size, there isn't a lot of difference between the two. Use http://www.displaywars.com/ to compare. The 21:9 is a little wider, the 16:9 is a little taller.

In a game. Imagine you are standing a game world looking at a wall with a checker board on it. You'll see 16x9 squares or 21x9 depending on the monitor. The 16x9 will have more dots, more potential detail, but its still 16x9 squares you're seeing. Not 32x18.

I've had a PG348Q for a while now and I haven't found any game that hasn't had a 3440x1440 display option. I haven't played every game I own on it though, I must admit. So there may be some, but I haven't struggled in that respect at all.

Now I have 21x9, I don't want to go back.

Solution