Ultrabook + XGPs

framkem

Honorable
Mar 10, 2013
I read a ton of stuff from here but this is my first time posting.

So I have been following the news for XGPs very closely.

http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/ati-xgp/Pages/ati-xgp.aspx

Plus the other one from Lucid that is all over the internet. So I am at that point where my old laptop is dieing and needs a successor and I am trying to prepare for the future. My question is, will it really work? Say if I took an ultrabook like:

HP Spectre XT TouchSmart 15-4010nr Ultrabook - upgrade it to 16gig ram slapped an XGP on this baby would I really be able to game on it? I am talking games like Crysis 2 etc. My biggest issue is the processor, it says i7 but Intel Core i7-3517U seems like the lowest of the low in terms of power when it comes to i7. So not sure if it will be able to handle gaming requirements even with an XGP. Can anyone take a look and let me know what you think please? If you have a better recommendation I would like to hear it so long as it's an ultrabook :D.

I want something stylish and slim to I can move around with but has some possibility of gaming as well. I am also eyeballing the new zenbooks but not trying to spend over 1500$.

Ultrabooks use 17w (or less) Intel CPUs. All of which have the "U" designation. They run slower than their "M" designated counterparts which consumes 35w. Quad core i7 "QM" models consumes 45w - 55w of power. Needless to say those CPUs uses more power and produces more heat than a "U" model CPU. That means short battery life and lots of heat. Two ways to offset that is a bigger battery and larger heatsink. That would increase the size and weight which kinda defeats the purpose of an Ultrabook.

Solution? Don't buy an Ultrabook.

XGP? Without any definitive info/specs there's no way to determine what it's performance will be. XGP was initially announced back in 2008. Will it actually launch this year? Unknown.