Ultrabooks to Remain Pricey in 2012, Say Vendor Sources

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Mike the AMD shill, how is their stuff better? If they are hundreds less, than their parts will be extremely cheap and no doubt crappy. Sorry, but I am not buying the hundreds less. Prices are high for ultrabooks due to component cost. SSDs aren't cheap and neither are ultra thin panels. AMD makes none of those components. AMD makes CPUs and GPUs and sometimes motherboards. AMD has no way to lower the overall price of anything outside of selling low cost CPUs (which perform poorly). My guess is an AMD ultra thin uses the cheapest of panels, a cheapo 5400 hard drive, their cheapo thunderbolt alternative (which is just USB/displayport), and cheap motherboard parts. It is the Walmart variety of ultrabook.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
Mike the AMD shill, how is their stuff better? If they are hundreds less, than their parts will be extremely cheap and no doubt crappy. Sorry, but I am not buying the hundreds less. Prices are high for ultrabooks due to component cost. SSDs aren't cheap and neither are ultra thin panels. AMD makes none of those components. AMD makes CPUs and GPUs and sometimes motherboards. AMD has no way to lower the overall price of anything outside of selling low cost CPUs (which perform poorly). My guess is an AMD ultra thin uses the cheapest of panels, a cheapo 5400 hard drive, their cheapo thunderbolt alternative (which is just USB/displayport), and cheap motherboard parts. It is the Walmart variety of ultrabook.
Wow... fanboy much?! Did you really sign up to post this crap? :pfff:

jezus53

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
[citation][nom]GiveItUpDude[/nom]Mike the AMD shill, how is their stuff better? If they are hundreds less, than their parts will be extremely cheap and no doubt crappy. Sorry, but I am not buying the hundreds less. Prices are high for ultrabooks due to component cost. SSDs aren't cheap and neither are ultra thin panels. AMD makes none of those components. AMD makes CPUs and GPUs and sometimes motherboards. AMD has no way to lower the overall price of anything outside of selling low cost CPUs (which perform poorly). My guess is an AMD ultra thin uses the cheapest of panels, a cheapo 5400 hard drive, their cheapo thunderbolt alternative (which is just USB/displayport), and cheap motherboard parts. It is the Walmart variety of ultrabook.[/citation]

They also make RAM now. Bought some a few months ago for cheap. 2 4GB DDR3 sticks for 15 bucks a piece. Also, AMD doesn't charge a crap load for their CPUs like Intel does which probably brings the price down by a hundred bucks a unit from just that! PLUS, their APUs help cut the cost of having to put in a discrete card or have a mobo with graphics.

ragenalien

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Its true that the ultralights wont be the same quality as intel's ultrabooks. Not if they want to get the price down as much as they say. The only thing they'll be cutting is cpu price which at best would be 100 bucks for the performance parts and 50 bucks for the basic stuff. Not enough to take them down to the 500-600 dollar range. There HAS to be give elsewhere unless they know something no one else does.
(personally not a fanboy just a realist, I do like AMD).

__-_-_-__

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
Digitimes reports that the average selling price of the emerging category will not arrive in the $600 - $700 price range before 2013

this is February 2012.

https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=acer+aspire+s3&hl=pt-PT&client=firefox-a&hs=DK8&rls=org.mozilla%3Apt-PT%3Aofficial&biw=1429&bih=706&prmd=imvnsr&sa=X&ei=e-86T9mDPYau8APl1cXsCg&ved=0CBsQpwUoAA&tbs=p_ord%3Ap%2Cprice%3A1%2Cppr_min%3A500%2Cppr_max%3A&tbm=shop&tbo=

1 ultrabook @$699
3 ultrabooks @$750

imo before the end of Q2 2012 we will have several sub $700 models.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
[citation][nom]jezus53[/nom]They also make RAM now. Bought some a few months ago for cheap. 2 4GB DDR3 sticks for 15 bucks a piece. Also, AMD doesn't charge a crap load for their CPUs like Intel does which probably brings the price down by a hundred bucks a unit from just that! PLUS, their APUs help cut the cost of having to put in a discrete card or have a mobo with graphics.[/citation]

Not to mention the outrageous amount Intel charges for their chipsets.

G

All Ultrabooks have integrated graphics so that is not the issue. You will cut at most $100 on an AMD design and with that $100 off, you'll lose a lot of CPU performance. Trinity is based off of Bulldozer which is AWFUL! Meanwhile, Intel makes moves with IvyBridge and pushed the performance envelope another 15%. Sorry to say but for that size form factor, the extra $80-$100 for the CPU is worth it. The question becomes, where is the other $200 they are removing from the price? It must be memory, hard drive, and basic motherboard components.

mosu

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
In my country, most offerings are Intel pure crap, 2-3 years old processors in shiny new cases, just because people are so not informed.

danbfree

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
Sub-$400 CULV FTW... No need to have to spend TOO much for a step up above a netbook while retaining most of the portability and battery life. For under $500 shipped you can get a solid (non-Atom) dual core Sony Vaio 11.6".

Cantisque

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
$900-$1000 is fine for me, I just can't justify buying one since I already have a relatively new laptop that never gets used.

in q3-q4 2012, higher yields in llano, brazos and trinity production helps amd take away an even bigger chunk of ultraportable and entry level laptop marketshare from intel.
thanks for the prices, intel!!
hopefully companies like acer and asus will sell some cheap ultrabooks. i don't expect others to do the same, though...

G

As always, you'll get what you pay for jkflipflopper. The carnage of laptops I have paid for tell the story. I've had 3 cheapo AMD laptops and liked all 3 of them a lot. They were decent machines... particularly when new. Problem is, they never lasted more than a year or two. I thought this was just the way it is supposed to be until I ponied up for a couple of Intel laptops. Both are still going strong. It is not the processor. It is the components paired with the processor. I had a warranty of one of my AMD laptops which burned out in 22 months. Luckily, it was a 24 month warranty (that I paid US $250 for - arggghh). The $250 warranty got me a new motherboard for my system which was awesome... an $1000 value at the time. Problem is, the so called new motherboard crapped out a year later too. People just attach too many cheap parts to AMD systems. I've decided to add the extra $100-$200 for Intel systems just to avoid buying a new system in a year or two. I don't have time to move all of my old software over or buy new versions,, etc. etc. True story! I know there will be a premium on the Ultrabooks, but if the system lasts, then it is worth it. If you buy a new system every year anyway like some do, then yes, buy AMD based hardware and save some $$$.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Don't want an ultrabook ever. They look kind of ugly so thinned out. Like the feel of a real laptop under my hands. Surfing is fine with an android tablet and a bluetooth keyboard for long writing sessions.

Status
Not open for further replies.