News Ultrathin Silicon-28 Nanowires in CPUs Could Be a Game Changer

Why not just use silver nano-wiring?

Silver is already highly conductive and extremely malleable, unlike silicon.

Find a way run silver threads in a processor and have that in contact with a heatsink.

Why not just use silver nano-wiring?

Silver is already highly conductive and extremely malleable, unlike silicon.

Find a way run silver threads in a processor and have that in contact with a heatsink.
My guesses:
  • The wires are etched into the die, so it's only a slight modification to the process. Silver would have to be deposited.
  • Silver is electrically conductive, which I'd wager is something you don't want touching transistors. At least not without wrapping the silver around something electrically insulating, which would decrease the thermal benefit, if not take up more die space.
  • It's also one more material to keep around.

edzieba

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2016
Sourcing isotopically pure silicon in bulk quantities is no easy task. Unless there is a convenient chemical separation process discovered you're looking at banks of centrifuges for physical isotope separation for silicon enrichment similar to those used for Uranium enrichment, except you will need to do so in many orders of magnitude larger quantities due to the demand for silicon vs. HEU (under 3 tonnes per year vs over 15,000 tonnes). Even if a chemical separation process is available, its still not an easy task to scale that up from a small lab to mass production, as if growing monocrystalline silicon boules was not hard enough already!

D

Deleted member 14196

I agree I don’t see this happening anytime soon if ever at all. Most of this junk is just pie in the sky

More important to me is the electric grid. Not enough attention is paid to this. Governments what all cars to be electric and our electric grids cannot even handle the current load that is placed upon it. They need to solve more problems than this.

InvalidError

Titan
More important to me is the electric grid. Not enough attention is paid to this. Governments what all cars to be electric and our electric grids cannot even handle the current load that is placed upon it. They need to solve more problems than this.
Work smarter, not harder: grid load has peaks and lows, just put grid-aware L2 EVSEs in every parking lot and give people the option of slow-charging at a variable speed based on grid conditions at a preferential billing rate to smooth out grid load. This would be good enough for most people to charge their EVs overnight every 2-3 days.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Work smarter, not harder: grid load has peaks and lows, just put grid-aware L2 EVSEs in every parking lot and give people the option of slow-charging at a variable speed based on grid conditions at a preferential billing rate to smooth out grid load. This would be good enough for most people to charge their EVs overnight every 2-3 days.
https://www.pluglesspower.com/learn/tesla-model-s-charging-home-public-autonomously/ Whateverway you charge, it uses a lot of watts, kilowatts. Now add a million cars. 1 000 Watts x 1 000 000 = 1 000 000 000 watts. How many power plants is that? That is just for 1 million cars. This is like the smallest country in the world, 1 mil cars. Now you add the trucks, the taxis, vehicles that are roilling on the roads at all times. Emergency sevices. Suddenly the load wont be the smooth, small or even feasible unless you build like 5-100 new nuclear plants in every country. In a political climate where even building one is questionnable and would take 10 years.

Last edited:
https://www.pluglesspower.com/learn/tesla-model-s-charging-home-public-autonomously/ Whateverway you charge, it uses a lot of watts, kilowatts. Now add a million cars. 1 000 Watts x 1 000 000 = 1 000 000 000 watts. How many power plants is that? That is just for 1 million cars. This is like the smallest country in the world, 1 mil cars. Now you add the trucks, the taxis, vehicles that are roilling on the roads at all times. Emergency sevices. Suddenly the load wont be the smooth, small or even feasible unless you build like 5-100 new nuclear plants in every country. In a political climate where even building one is questionnable and would take 10 years.
Nit picking, but the smallest countries in the world don't have the area for 1 million cars. And even then, if you consider a population of 1 million people, everyone isn't going to own a car. For instance the area where I live has a population of about 1.5 million, with about 500,000 households, and an average of 2 cars per household. Public transportation, while decent in areas that have it, doesn't cover a lot of the metropolitan area. But let's consider somewhere that has amazing public transportation, like Tokyo. It has a population of around 14 million, with around 6.95 million households, but a car owernship rate of 0.45 per household.

We also have to consider that not everyone will consider 200+ mile range EVs, especially if they're buying it for their commute. Plus not everyone is going to be charging on the same day at the same time. However, I do believe we should have a contingency plan for that and utility companies do need to start installing a feedback system to distribute charging throughout time.

As for trucks, well, Germany has a solution for that:

thisisaname

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
Nit picking, but the smallest countries in the world don't have the area for 1 million cars. And even then, if you consider a population of 1 million people, everyone isn't going to own a car. For instance the area where I live has a population of about 1.5 million, with about 500,000 households, and an average of 2 cars per household. Public transportation, while decent in areas that have it, doesn't cover a lot of the metropolitan area. But let's consider somewhere that has amazing public transportation, like Tokyo. It has a population of around 14 million, with around 6.95 million households, but a car owernship rate of 0.45 per household.

We also have to consider that not everyone will consider 200+ mile range EVs, especially if they're buying it for their commute. Plus not everyone is going to be charging on the same day at the same time. However, I do believe we should have a contingency plan for that and utility companies do need to start installing a feedback system to distribute charging throughout time.

As for trucks, well, Germany has a solution for that:
The tram lorry :)