[SOLVED] Ultrawide 144Hz monitor flickering over display port

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenWillingham

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013
Hi

I've recently purchased an iiyama G-MASTER GB3461WQSU. Ultrawide, 1440p, up to 144Hz. The monitor works great over HDMI, no flickering at all. However, over display port I've been having some trouble. When changing my refresh rate to 144Hz, my screen starts flickering. Not to black, but bars come across my screen (and the screen also makes a crackling noise when it happens). It's also the same story when I change it to 120Hz. When I lower it to 100Hz and 75Hz, it's fine when doing simple tasks like browsing the web, but when I start gaming, the problem returns. I've tried 3 different Display port cables, the most recent being a premium DP 1.4. I've tried freesync on and off. Disabled and enabled HDCP. I'll put a link to the flickering below.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6YGiHqE644

Apologies for the light on the screen, it's just from my window. Backlight bleed has been no problem so far.

PC Specs:
PSU: 500w
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
RAM: 16gb DDR4
GPU: Powercolor Radeon RX 590 Red Dragon

Let me know if you'd like any more specs.

Like I said at the start, over HDMI there's no problems at all. But I'd really like to take advantage of the perks when using display port. Especially since I've just bought this monitor.

Thanks in advance for any replies, it'd make my day to solve this problem.

Solution
Just tested, works absolutely fine. I then played 5 minutes of Black Ops Cold War and the flicker happened maybe a couple of times. Not ideal but loads better. Then changed the refresh rate back to 120Hz and 144Hz, the flickering resumed. Maybe a little better than it was earlier, but still pretty bad.

Thanks for replying and helping dude :)

This leads me back to it possibly being a GPU limitation. The evidence is circumstantial but it fits.
Since HDR requires more bandwidth, see if disabling HDR helps. Try disabling it in the settings on your monitor and in your Windows display settings. (it may be in the Radeon panel too).
Jan 30, 2021
might be stupid but first try to clean display port on both devices. Same result all on the cables? all of them were 1.4 version? also are you using display to display port directly or a converter?

Incorrect.
HDMI and DP use different technologies and have different limitations.
Point in fact, the monitor specs say that HDMI will max out at 100Hz. This monitor also supports HDR which uses more bandwidth. It could very well be a GPU limitation, although I'm not sure.

Yes they are different and HDMI has lower bandwidth. Therefore any problem would present over HDMI which the OP confirmed is ok. It also shows the driver is ok and the gpu does support the resolution and Hz.

BenWillingham

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013
might be stupid but first try to clean display port on both devices. Same result all on the cables? all of them were 1.4 version? also are you using display to display port directly or a converter?

Thanks for the reply. They're all brand new cables, the most recent is definitely 1.4 (I'll put a link below). Yes I'm connecting display port to display port.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B088PMMT85

BenWillingham

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013
Can you try the monitor on another pc, maybe a friends? At this point I’d think either fault with gpu or the display.

That's a great idea, COVID restrictions are making that tricky though unfortunately. Not sure if this helps, but my previous monitor was a 27inch 1080p 60Hz. Never experienced a single problem.

BenWillingham

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013
Yes they are different and HDMI has lower bandwidth. Therefore any problem would present over HDMI which the OP confirmed is ok. It also shows the driver is ok and the gpu does support the resolution and Hz.

One thing I found interesting is that HDMI works fine even though it's capped at 100Hz (and also when gaming). However, when I connect via display port and set the refresh rate at 100Hz, I still get the flickering (mainly when gaming)

BenWillingham

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013
Okay. From both monitor and computer powered off, Can you turn them on with the DP cable plugged in and refresh set at 100Hz? Does it immediately display the issue or does the issue only occur once you start changing the refresh rate?
Just tested, works absolutely fine. I then played 5 minutes of Black Ops Cold War and the flicker happened maybe a couple of times. Not ideal but loads better. Then changed the refresh rate back to 120Hz and 144Hz, the flickering resumed. Maybe a little better than it was earlier, but still pretty bad.

This leads me back to it possibly being a GPU limitation. The evidence is circumstantial but it fits.
Since HDR requires more bandwidth, see if disabling HDR helps. Try disabling it in the settings on your monitor and in your Windows display settings. (it may be in the Radeon panel too).

Solution

BenWillingham

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2013
I’m hoping it is a GPU limitation really and not a faulty monitor. I have had HDR off the whole time, on the monitor settings, windows and Radeon settings.

Feb 10, 2021
Did you find a solution to this? Just recently upgraded my rig and having the exact same issues. Tried 4 different DP cables and nothing. Runs just fine on 120hz but same, 144hz it goes bonkers. I tried my monitor on my old pc and it still shows it working at 144hz. Very strange..

PSU: 650w
CPU: Intel Core i7-10700KF
RAM: 16gb DDR4
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080
Monitor: acer EI342CKR WQHD 34" UltraWide

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS