Question Ultrawide monitor for gaming

myee2516

Honorable
Nov 12, 2017
I currently have an Acer Predator xb270hu and looking to upgrade.
My pc specs are

Asus x99 deluxe ii
I7 6800k
Gigabyte aorus 1080ti extreme
Trident z run 16gb ram

I am looking to upgrade my monitor.
I am wondering what a good ultrawide around 34" would be.
I am looking to spend <$1100 AUD
Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Well, it really depends on what you're looking for.

While I've seen 29-inch ultrawides, the fact that they're so short vertically makes them look terrible in my opinion.

You have your choice of:
2560x1080 - typically 34-inch
3440x1440 - typically 34-inch
3840x1600 - typically 38-inch

The higher the resolution, the more demanding it will be on your GPU, thus the lower your maximum frame rate will be.

You have a 1080Ti, so you're in pretty good shape.

Most people would say that at 34", a 2560x1080 would have pixels that are too big, but I disagree. The model listed in my as my son's computer has great visual quality.

Are you trying to, say, hit the 144fps mark? Are you more interested in the highest resolution possible?

Also - and I tell this to everyone: a new monitor is something you're going to have for a long time. Further, EVERYONE's eyes are different. I might say something looks fantastic, and you might agree, or you might think I'm blind as a bat. A third person may have yet another opinion.

If at all possible, I very strongly recommend finding a brick and mortar shop that has a variety of monitors on display. You probably won't be able to try gaming at the store, but viewing webpages, opening apps on the desktop, watching videos, will all be things you can try, and see how YOUR eyes feel about what you're seeing. You'll want whatever monitor you wind up with to be a comfortable and pleasurable experience.

I like both of the monitors in my sig - the bigger one I got for work purposes so I would have the width of the dual-1920x1080 monitors I have for work, but with some extra vertical space. In hindsight, I probably would've been just fine with a 3440x1440, though, losing about 11% of the horizontal pixels that I have on the 3840x1600.

myee2516

Honorable
Nov 12, 2017
Well, it really depends on what you're looking for.

While I've seen 29-inch ultrawides, the fact that they're so short vertically makes them look terrible in my opinion.

You have your choice of:
2560x1080 - typically 34-inch
3440x1440 - typically 34-inch
3840x1600 - typically 38-inch

The higher the resolution, the more demanding it will be on your GPU, thus the lower your maximum frame rate will be.

You have a 1080Ti, so you're in pretty good shape.

Most people would say that at 34", a 2560x1080 would have pixels that are too big, but I disagree. The model listed in my as my son's computer has great visual quality.

Are you trying to, say, hit the 144fps mark? Are you more interested in the highest resolution possible?

Also - and I tell this to everyone: a new monitor is something you're going to have for a long time. Further, EVERYONE's eyes are different. I might say something looks fantastic, and you might agree, or you might think I'm blind as a bat. A third person may have yet another opinion.

If at all possible, I very strongly recommend finding a brick and mortar shop that has a variety of monitors on display. You probably won't be able to try gaming at the store, but viewing webpages, opening apps on the desktop, watching videos, will all be things you can try, and see how YOUR eyes feel about what you're seeing. You'll want whatever monitor you wind up with to be a comfortable and pleasurable experience.

I like both of the monitors in my sig - the bigger one I got for work purposes so I would have the width of the dual-1920x1080 monitors I have for work, but with some extra vertical space. In hindsight, I probably would've been just fine with a 3440x1440, though, losing about 11% of the horizontal pixels that I have on the 3840x1600.
Hi.
Thanks for your response.

I am probs going to go a 3440×1440.

I'd like to stay above 60fps if possible. Not necessarily 144Fps.

I don't play a huge amount of games anymore but I am going to be returning to world of warcraft classic. Also the occasional Dota 2.

I was looking at a couple of acer ones but I'm not sure which would be better overall.
Acer Predator x34p OR z35p

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
The 1080Ti can mostly hit 60fps at standard 4k (3840x2160) with max or very high details on modern games.

Given that the 3440x1440 has about 60% (ie 6/10ths) of the pixels, it can probably max out at about mostly 100 fps, again, on max or very high details on modern games. (the previous 60 fps divided by 6/10ths, or 60 fps times 10/6). That would be the card running full throttle, though.

If you're just looking to say run at a constant 60, or maybe cap it at 75, the 1080Ti should handle it well without having to run full-tilt.

If you do go 2560x1080, then the 1080Ti wouldn't even be breaking a sweat running it. Well, maybe fairly high utilization if going a full 144fps.

I understand that one of those monitors is VA, and the other IPS, though I'm not clear on the details.

However, they are both GSync monitors - which is an adaptive sync technology that's Nvidia only, as it's proprietary. Since they have to pay Nvidia a hefty licensing fee for that, they will be more expensive than an equivalent FreeSync monitor. It also locks you in to the Nvidia ecosystem.

Originally, FreeSync, while free/open, was only available for AMD cards, but finally, even Nvidia started supporting FreeSync use with their 10, 16, and 20 series cards. I'd say look for a FreeSync monitor with a wide FreeSync range, and one that has Low Framerate Compensation (LFC), and save yourself a notable amount of money in the process (the "Nvidia tax" if you will).

myee2516

Honorable
Nov 12, 2017
The 1080Ti can mostly hit 60fps at standard 4k (3840x2160) with max or very high details on modern games.

Given that the 3440x1440 has about 60% (ie 6/10ths) of the pixels, it can probably max out at about mostly 100 fps, again, on max or very high details on modern games. (the previous 60 fps divided by 6/10ths, or 60 fps times 10/6). That would be the card running full throttle, though.

If you're just looking to say run at a constant 60, or maybe cap it at 75, the 1080Ti should handle it well without having to run full-tilt.

If you do go 2560x1080, then the 1080Ti wouldn't even be breaking a sweat running it. Well, maybe fairly high utilization if going a full 144fps.

I understand that one of those monitors is VA, and the other IPS, though I'm not clear on the details.

However, they are both GSync monitors - which is an adaptive sync technology that's Nvidia only, as it's proprietary. Since they have to pay Nvidia a hefty licensing fee for that, they will be more expensive than an equivalent FreeSync monitor. It also locks you in to the Nvidia ecosystem.

Originally, FreeSync, while free/open, was only available for AMD cards, but finally, even Nvidia started supporting FreeSync use with their 10, 16, and 20 series cards. I'd say look for a FreeSync monitor with a wide FreeSync range, and one that has Low Framerate Compensation (LFC), and save yourself a notable amount of money in the process (the "Nvidia tax" if you will).
Hi.
Thanks for your response again.

Do you have any recommendation on a monitor that is 3440x1440 34" ultrawide 100hz Or higher which has the freesync which will work with my 1080ti.
So similar specs to the x34p.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I can't say personally, as I've never owned a 3440x1440 monitor. Most of the major brands, LG, Acer, BenQ, etc are pretty good, though.

This is what I found with a quick search on NewEgg. Narrowed down to FreeSync, 3440x1440

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100160979 4814 600554755 600559798 8000 600569036&Order=PRICE

Also, don't go for a flat one - once you're up to 34" or more on an ultra-wide, a curved screen is actually a good idea. I used to think curved and ultrawide was a gimmick. Now I'm a convert.

I imagine a wider variety might be available on Amazon. Again, though, if a brick-and-mortar store is within a reasonable distance and you can see them in person, definitely do so before making a decision.

myee2516

Honorable
Nov 12, 2017
I can't say personally, as I've never owned a 3440x1440 monitor. Most of the major brands, LG, Acer, BenQ, etc are pretty good, though.

This is what I found with a quick search on NewEgg. Narrowed down to FreeSync, 3440x1440

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100160979 4814 600554755 600559798 8000 600569036&Order=PRICE

I imagine a wider variety might be available on Amazon. Again, though, if a brick-and-mortar store is within a reasonable distance and you can see them in person, definitely do so before making a decision.
Hello.

I don't really know much about freesync. But will any monitor with freesync work with my 1080ti like how gsync works or does it need to be specific freesync monitors?

Thanks for the quick responses.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Maybe some older ones, cheap brands that aren't among the big names, will have problems. From what I've read, most FreeSync monitors will work, even if not on Nvidia's list (my Acer, for example, isn't on the list, but works). The ones that don't supposedly never quite implemented FreeSync properly in the first place.

You'll have to go into some particular setting in the Nvidia driver to get it to work, but the instructions can easily be found online.

(and the quick responses are only because I was SUPPOSED to be asleep an hour ago, but am not, LOL)

myee2516

Honorable
Nov 12, 2017
Maybe some older ones, cheap brands that aren't among the big names, will have problems. From what I've read, most FreeSync monitors will work, even if not on Nvidia's list (my Acer, for example, isn't on the list, but works). The ones that don't supposedly never quite implemented FreeSync properly in the first place.

You'll have to go into some particular setting in the Nvidia driver to get it to work, but the instructions can easily be found online.

(and the quick responses are only because I was SUPPOSED to be asleep an hour ago, but am not, LOL)
Thanks for all your help I will look into freesync. I was always planning on going a big brand name like acer or asus. I will hunt down and look at the specs and reviews. Thanks for everything once again.

Reactions: King_V