[SOLVED] Ultrawide monitor OR GPU RTX 20xx upgrade

elgreco

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
Hi all.
I've spent ages toying with this idea and I'm finally ready to do something about it.

Am currently running a 4790k on a ROG maximus board with two MSI GTX 970s in SLI on a triple monitor setup (3 x Dell U2410) at 5760*1200.

Suffice to say I haven't really got the most out of this setup in a little while as the GTXs just lack the muscle to power the newer games at the full resolution (and this is before I even go into the problems of running Nvidia Surround on a lot of titles.

Anyway I've been thinking of upgrading for a while but have always thought I'd wait that little bit longer. The issues I experience in some of the titles I play, like the BF series, the Far Cry and Tomb Raider games are finally forcing my hand.

I do next to no production on my rig. It's purely games and movies (movies have not suffered with my current set up so my motivation is purely gaming).

I'll cut to the chase and say I want a new monitor and a new GPU.
Wanting and being able to afford are clearly different things, especially with the top end RTXs costing 1200-1500 eur (which honestly is an effing joke,.... but I digress).

I've spent ages looking at monitors and, having been on a triple monitor set up for something like 5 years, I can't see myself going below an ultrawide.

I'm leaning heavily towards the Dell Alienware AW3418DW, which is the G-Sync 120HZ version of Dell's screen. I know I'm paying a premium for G-Sync and for the brand but my u2410s have served me so well I kinda trust Dell quality. I looked at the LG and AOC stuff and have been tempted, especially by the new LG144Mhz unltrawide screen but I think I would feel reassured by Dell's track record. And of course, it's a fantastic screen.

The monitor would cost me circa 1000eur. Which is most of my budget.

The problem is, if I assume for a minute I were to purchase this screen.... I would realistically need an RTX 2080ti to make the most of it. I don't think a 2080 can hit the 120 frames consistently (am happy to be corrected here).

Which brings me to GPUs. I love the MSI lightning cards but they're going for between 1400-1500eur for the RTX2080 ti.

An MSI Duke goes for about 1200. They're both OC'd already (to a different extent) and I don't OC my GPUs so would be interested to hear if people think the premium between the two is worth it (a ROG Strix is more in the Duke price range and is also an option).

Anyway. I clearly can't afford to buy both GPU and monitor at the same time.

So I'm struggling to decide my next steps.

I could go 2080 (the non-TI version) and it will undoubtedly max my current set-up @60FPS.
But if I do this and eventually get the cash to get the Alienware monitor, I'm worried I'll be annoyed at myself for compromising now.

Or, I go for the TI. But that would be overkill for my current setup. And, in the time it takes me to save up for a new monitor after I've bought it, they'll probably bring out a TI Super or something even more powerful, meaning the price of the TI will drop. Which means I'll be sort of kicking myself again for 'wasting' the cash now.

And the final option (and the one I'm leaning towards) is to get the Alienware monitor now and run it as best I can with the dual 970s until I can afford a new card. Realistically a monitor is a longer term investment. It has an excellent (non-4k) resolution and a great refresh rate. I don't think I'll be upset at not going 4K or 144Hz later on as I'm not a competitive gamer and I actually think 4K is a little overkill anyway.

Sorry, long post but i'm conflicted!

Thanks for your help.

Solution
I would get that Dell (nice pick!) and use the 970's in SLI until you can afford the Nvdia RTX 2080 Super as it's a much better price to performance choice over the RTX 2080 or 2080 ti. And your right, the monitor is a long term investment so get something well worth it which this Dell really is. Also the Dell is a lower resolution then your current triple setup so it should be slightly less taxing on your 970's.

WildCard999

Titan
I would get that Dell (nice pick!) and use the 970's in SLI until you can afford the Nvdia RTX 2080 Super as it's a much better price to performance choice over the RTX 2080 or 2080 ti. And your right, the monitor is a long term investment so get something well worth it which this Dell really is. Also the Dell is a lower resolution then your current triple setup so it should be slightly less taxing on your 970's.

Reactions: elgreco
Solution
And the final option (and the one I'm leaning towards) is to get the Alienware monitor now and run it as best I can with the dual 970s until I can afford a new card. Realistically a monitor is a longer term investment. It has an excellent (non-4k) resolution and a great refresh rate. I don't think I'll be upset at not going 4K or 144Hz later on as I'm not a competitive gamer and I actually think 4K is a little overkill anyway.
This. You already know the answer.

To discuss further... I was looking for a monitor upgrade for almost 2 full years (budget was not good enough in the beginning). When I decided which one to get (ASUS XG32VQ 2k/144Hz) I saw that my card was not enough for it (ROG STRIX 1070). I simply can not enjoy the monitor to it's full extent BUT I do not mind because I will keep the monitor longer than my GPU. I might not even change it in the next decade where my future RGTTBSX 12070 Super will handle my monitor more than fine!

Just my 2 cents

Reactions: elgreco