um my mac book air's keyboard is not working and i need it for school work the keys that don't work are m,j,k,l,i,o,p i am now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prominent
Jan 30, 2018
um my mac book air's keyboard is not working and i need it for school work the keys that don't work are m,j,k,l,i,o,p i am now using the home computer and this is really not working for me i really need it for my school tomorrow or I get a behaviour report this is so bad i need it fix quick everything the things you said don't work cause the keyboard is on the computer pls help me i still have loads of homework to finish

Solution
If you have an external keyboard (USB or bluetooth) you can use that. You said that you have the home computer so I guess there is a keyboard there that you could borrow. You can also go to System Preferences / Keyboard and select 'Show keyboard and emoji viewers in menu bar'. You can then select the keyboard icon in the menu bar and you will get a display of the keyboard that you can click on to simulate key presses (not really useful when you have so many keys not working). What happened to your keyboard - was something spilt on it?

scheath

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017
If you have an external keyboard (USB or bluetooth) you can use that. You said that you have the home computer so I guess there is a keyboard there that you could borrow. You can also go to System Preferences / Keyboard and select 'Show keyboard and emoji viewers in menu bar'. You can then select the keyboard icon in the menu bar and you will get a display of the keyboard that you can click on to simulate key presses (not really useful when you have so many keys not working). What happened to your keyboard - was something spilt on it?

Solution

JalYt_Justin

Reputable
Jun 12, 2017
Is this a school-assigned laptop? If so the only thing to do is take it to them tomorrow and have them fix it. For a quick fix, at least enough for you to get homework done, you could go buy a USB keyboard on the cheap and plug it in and use it that way.

I assume you've tried restarting, so, if this is a personal laptop, then the next step would be to open it up and check the cable connecting it to the motherboard.

supermikeq

Prominent
Jan 29, 2018
1. Does it have a warranty because it's always easier to leave it to professionals.
2. If not it could be a heating problem, check if it gets hot often.. this probably would be an expensive fix and just easier to replace.
3. Like other answers say just use a usb keyboard for now.

Apr 4, 2018
Hey, I know it's been some time since you asked this. If you're still looking for a solution, I have one. There's nothing wrong with your laptop, it just sounds like you accidentally enabled mouse keys. Go into "accessibility" in system preferences, and go down to the "mouse" tab and just disable it. Your keyboard should start working again.

Status
Not open for further replies.