Umax Astra 4600 scanner

I am having difficulty getting the scanner to work. Windows XP SP2 states
that C:Windows\system\autoexec.NT.the system is not suitable for running
MS_DOS and Microsoft windows applications. Choose "close" to terminate the
application.

Also when I check the device manager it says the device is installed and
running correctly. But when I go through the control panel and check the
properties of the scanner it states that it is unavailable.

When I run the software that came with the scanner it states that the
scanner is not available and quotes the driver of my old Mustek scanner. I
have tried to remove the old scanner driver but get the same message
highlighted above in the first paragraph.

Can anyone help?

Pat Hickey

"Pat Hickey" <Pat Hickey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am having difficulty getting the scanner to work. Windows XP SP2 states
>that C:Windows\system\autoexec.NT.the system is not suitable for running
>MS_DOS and Microsoft windows applications. Choose "close" to terminate the
>application.

That error message is often an indication of a virus/spyware
infestation of your computer.

See the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base for
instructions on how to fix the problem:

Error message when you install or start an MS-DOS or 16-bit
Windows-based program
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 324767
http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=324767

However if the message is being caused by virus/spyware problems then
it will reappear. So make certain that your antivirus software is
completely up to date, with the virus definitions not more than a week
old, and do a complete virus scan of your computer. Then get a
"second opinion" by doing a free online virus scan at
http://housecall.trendmicro.com

Follow this up with a spyware cleanup as per MVP Jim Eshelman's
Spyware Quick Fix page at http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm

Good luck

>Also when I check the device manager it says the device is installed and
>running correctly. But when I go through the control panel and check the
>properties of the scanner it states that it is unavailable.
>
>When I run the software that came with the scanner it states that the
>scanner is not available and quotes the driver of my old Mustek scanner. I
>have tried to remove the old scanner driver but get the same message
>highlighted above in the first paragraph.
>
>Can anyone help?
>
>Pat Hickey

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--