Umm...ya...

wrathloki

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
So, Is vista this buggy for everyone? Or is it just me? First off, I can't install anything at all because there's just a bunch of errors when it tries to install. Half the cds/dvds I put in wont autoplay no matter how many times I try. I cant install my video drivers, my monitor just shows up as a generic display (actually finds the monitor on xp) and samsung doesn't have vista drivers. And also for some reason 60% of my memory is being used at all times (got a gig of ddr2). What is the deal with this? Just still that buggy or what?

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I've been running Vista RC1/2 for 6 weeks now. While its not perfect, I've only come across a few specialized apps that it won't run (and I'm running the x64 edition). With RC1 I used nVidia drivers for my builtin GeForce 6100 (dammit, need to upgrade that), but for RC2 I found that the Windows drivers were better than the ones nVidia released. As far as memory usage goes, Vistal WILL use around a half gig of ram at idle... that's just the way it is. Even so, it is pretty snappy on my PC (Athlon 64 X2 3800, 1GB - 128MB = 896MB RAM, GeForce6100 w/ 128MB shared).

Perhaps if you posted your specs I could pinpoint a problem.

pat

Expert
I've been running Vista RC1/2 for 6 weeks now. While its not perfect, I've only come across a few specialized apps that it won't run (and I'm running the x64 edition). With RC1 I used nVidia drivers for my builtin GeForce 6100 (dammit, need to upgrade that), but for RC2 I found that the Windows drivers were better than the ones nVidia released. As far as memory usage goes, Vistal WILL use around a half gig of ram at idle... that's just the way it is. Even so, it is pretty snappy on my PC (Athlon 64 X2 3800, 1GB - 128MB = 896MB RAM, GeForce6100 w/ 128MB shared).

Perhaps if you posted your specs I could pinpoint a problem.

same thing here, but with RC1. Did you see a major difference going to RC2 from RC1?

I'm just wondering if it worth it to download it and try it. And, can it be upgraded to RC2 or need a fresh install?

pat

Expert
So, Is vista this buggy for everyone? Or is it just me? First off, I can't install anything at all because there's just a bunch of errors when it tries to install. Half the cds/dvds I put in wont autoplay no matter how many times I try. I cant install my video drivers, my monitor just shows up as a generic display (actually finds the monitor on xp) and samsung doesnt have vista drivers. And also for some reason 60% of my memory is being used at all times (got a gig of ddr2). What is the deal with this? Just still that buggy or what?

Maybe just you.. did you try to install XP? maybe your computer has some sort of problem.

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Well, there isn't difference between RC1 and RC2 on the surface, but apparently RC2 has hundreds of bugs fixed from RC1. You can do an upgrade, but from what I read it takes FOREVER (like 2 hours). You're probably better off with a fresh install (which will take like 40 minutes).

If I were you, I'd upgrade to RC2 just to stay on top of things, but if you have data that't not backed up and don't want to spend so much time upgrading... well, RC1 is good enough.

You should know that unless you have already downloaded RC2, you won't be able to get it now - Microsoft pulled it a couple days after public release. I suppose you could always torrent it... but that's your choice.

pat

Expert
Well, there isn't difference between RC1 and RC2 on the surface, but apparently RC2 has hundreds of bugs fixed from RC1. You can do an upgrade, but from what I read it takes FOREVER (like 2 hours). You're probably better off with a fresh install (which will take like 40 minutes).

If I were you, I'd upgrade to RC2 just to stay on top of things, but if you have data that't not backed up and don't want to spend so much time upgrading... well, RC1 is good enough.

You should know that unless you have already downloaded RC2, you won't be able to get it now - Microsoft pulled it a couple days after public release. I suppose you could always torrent it... but that's your choice.

I think I have it somewhere.. and there is always a torrent somewhere I could get it. Maybe I'll try to get it, only to have updated video drivers. I don't care if it takes long time..I'll let it install either over the night after answered the usual question or during a day I'll be not that busy at home..

Thanks

hammerhead2

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
buggy sort of,, running RC1 for several weeks now on a
Asrock dual Sata (s939) with amd 3800 x2 , 2 gig ram and
ati x700. used mostly for playing Oblivian and misc web surfing
Oblivian crashes mostly at changing area's. getting used to the
interface and have got the driver bugs mostly over,, Need newest
ati driver I think. And the connection to internet through the cable router
takes at least 5 minutes to come up. found a dvd'cd-rw program to work
with it and one antivirus program (running x64)