UN-activating Windows8 during first 2 weeks ??!!

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012
Hello,
I recently bought and installed Windows 8 and was quite disappointed with my 3dmark11 results - in comparison to my previous settings: same settings and hardware on Win7 64 bit with 3dmark11.

Additionally, I am not so impressed with the changes they made with Win8, and I rather have the Win7 back.
Therefore I wish to go back to my Windows 7 installation, but I do not wish to lose that activation code, so I might use windows 8 next time I buy a computer or on my secondary pc

Can anyone please recommend how to de-activate and release the activation code/serial key, for later use on a different computer (different motherboard etc)???
Is it even possible? if not, what happens when I try to install this copy of windows on a new pc?

Solution
There is no deactivation, or release.
When you're ready, install it on some new machine. If it activates online, great. If not, you may have to go through the phone robot for activation. At some point in there it will ask you 'how many computers is this installed on?' It will almost certainly work. I've had to do it more than a few times.

If the phone robot activation fails, you can get it activated with a human at Microsoft.

USAFRet

Titan
There is no deactivation, or release.
When you're ready, install it on some new machine. If it activates online, great. If not, you may have to go through the phone robot for activation. At some point in there it will ask you 'how many computers is this installed on?' It will almost certainly work. I've had to do it more than a few times.

If the phone robot activation fails, you can get it activated with a human at Microsoft.

Solution

Ransome

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2012

DO Microsoft even allow installation on a number of PC's at a time with a single bought copy??

Can you explain more and expand on "phone robot activation"? what do you mean by going through the phone robot? I live in Israel so I am not sure if I got such service, we do have Microsoft service here with Israeli representatives, but I am not sure if they will allow me to install on a new computer.
Can you give me a link for the phone number (maybe it is International service)..?

And please explain more about the part with "how many computers is this installed on?" - how do I get there? and is it legal to use a copy of Win8 64 bit on several home computers? and what is the limit?
Can I simply just install windows on a new system later and go online for activate without asking MS before?

USAFRet

Titan

Installation on multiple computers would require a "Family Pack". I don't think they do that for Win8.

During the install for Win8, you have to put the activation key in. After that, the default is to "Activate Online". If it works, great.
If that fails...generally you are given the option to activate by phone. The actual number should appear in a dialog box somewhere. No idea what it might be from Israel.
So...in that dialog box is a long string of numbers. I believe 6 groups of 6, labeled A through F. This is NOT the same as the activation key you would have entered earlier.
You speak (or keypress) those groups, one by one, into the phone. The phone robot says "OK" after each one.
It then reads you back a whole other set of 6 groups of 6. You enter those into the empty boxes provided in the dialog box.

At some point, it asks...."How many computers is this installed on?" If you say "Four"...bzzzt. Your answer should be "One".

If the phone robot thing still fails...it should give you the option, and the number, to actually call someone. And do pretty much exactly the same thing.