Question Un-explainable aliasing and shimmering problems on multiple desktops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nortabun

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
My current build is an RTX 2080 / I5 8400 / 16GB RAM / 750W GOLD PSU. I had suffered from this same exact issue for the last 2 builds that had a gt 640 and a gtx 970. AA is simply in-effective on any game no matter the settings, either from the game itself or from the NVCP or inspector. Re-installing drivers never worked. Clean wiping never worked. Using older drivers never worked. Changing HDMI cables never worked. Changing Displays never worked. It's just this constant shimmering and aliasing that's plaguing every device that has been through my door-step.

The only way to dull this effect to a tolerable degree is to force DSR resolution from 1080p to 4K, taking my FPS downhill to get close to console-level shimmer. I've seen this issue discussed in older threads only to be eventually dismissed as some case of ''OCD'' or just trolling around, which is really funny, as it's just that unbelievable to me too. I certainly have no clue what could be causing it. I am now suspecting some hardware malfunction induced by static due to a lack of grounding? in my apartment complex, but even that sounds a little far fetched. I'm really not the one moan about insignificant details that are may just be natural, but this issue is not insignificant and is eye-poppingly noticeable that it's driving me mad.

Here is a video from Batman AK, the last game I was ''trying to enjoy''. This is just a single game out of every single one I have, I'd be happy to provide more screenshots from other games to prove my point

Max settings, 1080p with ps2 level shimmer...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPPLBTiybZw

Aliasing pic

This is what I have to deal with in every game, with max settings.... Any suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated, I am and will be willing to try anything to resolve this issue, as it has been bugging me for at least the past few years. Also feel free to check some of my posting history to get a good laugh about how bad I suffered from this exact issue continuously in the past 3 or so years.

Nortabun

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
What size monitor are you using?

Find a game that uses TAA for antialiasing and see what that looks like.

Honestly, getting a higher resolution monitor is the way to go.

PS. Batman Arkham Knight looks rough on any resolution besides 4k.

I usually tend to avoid TAA in games as it turns my experience into a completely blurry mess, it might dampen the effect of this rampant aliasing more than SMAA and TXAA yes, but It's not really a solution. As for Arkham Knight I know it's got one of the shittier AA solutions, but I have never seen the game look anywhere remotely as bad as it does on my PC, not on other peoples computers, and not even on consoles. This goes goes a long for many other games too.

Here is another example, RE:2 Remake, which is probably got one of the best AA solutions out there, had all Max settings with SMAA, and you can still see the shiny shiny shimmer on most edges. Bear with me if the shimmer seems a little less noticeable on video, camera + youtube blurring make it look a little less irritating than it actually is.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAwtKgG7eb4

I'm using a 26 inch 1080p samsung monitor. I tried to hooking my builds up to 2 of my 32 and 50 inch TVs to see if anything changes before, but nope. Of course I'd love to get a higher resolution monitor, but this whole issue is something I shouldn't really be going through with my current monitor or any other 1080p monitor I believe.

Thanks.

May 22, 2019
Well , did this happen suddenly after some event ? What was that change that you made , or was it from vey beginning, was there any time when it didn't happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.