[SOLVED] Un-Smooth Graphics

Oct 6, 2020
Hi All,
I have an choppy game-play issue where the graphics are very choppy and I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.
The few games I play now are The Division 2, Insurgency, and Squad. Sometimes, when I log into the game (let's say 1 out of two times), I get noticeable choppiness (as opposed to buttery smooth frames). And seemingly no configuration of graphics settings, nvidia control panel settings, toggling GSync on/off, or gpu driver fix the issue. The only thing that fixes this issue for a limited time, is to shut the machine all the way down, and turn it back on. This also only fixes the issue sometimes, and if it doesn't, I shut down the machine again and turn it back on, and the game is working fine, and I'm talking like, buttery-smooth game play.
The point here being, without changing any settings on my own (by user action, anyway), the screen tearing stops with a good 'ol turn-it off-and-on-again, and maybe a nice Fonzie elbow for good measure.

Here's my system info:
Win10 Pro
MSI GeForce RTX 2080 TI
AMD 3960X
MSI PRO TX40
16GB RAM
Monitor - MSI Optix MAG321CQR 32" WQHD - Free Sync, GSync Compatible (I think, purchased this before I built this machine.)
Any thoughts?
Thank you all...

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Please include your system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Case:

Check and see that you're on the latest BIOS version for the motherboard. Use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers and reinstall them with the latest sourced from Nvidia's support site. Install the GPU driver in an elevated command, i.e Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Are you working with 2x8GB sticks of ram?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Please include your system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Case:

Check and see that you're on the latest BIOS version for the motherboard. Use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers and reinstall them with the latest sourced from Nvidia's support site. Install the GPU driver in an elevated command, i.e Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Are you working with 2x8GB sticks of ram?

Solution
Oct 6, 2020
Hi Lutfij,

Thanks for the warm welcome and response, here are my specs listed below:

CPU: AMD 3960X
Motherboard: MSI PRO TX40
Ram: 32GB -- 2x - CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM
SSD/HDD: Corsair Force MP600 M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express Gen 4.0 x4 NVMe
GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO
PSU: Rosewill PHOTON Series 1200W Gold
Case: CORSAIR Obsidian Series 500D

I'm currently running 32GB of 4x 8GB sticks of RAM.

I'll go ahead and check on my BIOS settings and report back.

On the issue of Nvidia drivers:
I found that updating to the latest driver (the most recent one I tried was 453.38 on Sept. 25th) made the issue worse. When I tried to reboot my system, I was unable to get smooth graphics, so I rolled back to the one that allowed me to get smooth graphics by rebooting, which is 446.14, and that's the one I'm currently using. So, maybe we're getting somewhere, this could be a driver issue?

I know 456.71 was just released on the 7th. I'll install that one and give it a try and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again!

Oct 6, 2020
Okay, I did need to update the BIOS to the current version, which I did successfully. This did not solve the problem, although I did notice something this time.

When I booted Squad, I was getting 'un-smooth- graphics', with a frame rate around 75-85 fps.

When I rebooted my system and booted the game (mind you: not touching any settings in my system, or in the game whatsoever), I was getting buttery-smooth graphics, with an fps in the 130 range.
Update: I realized I had not joined the same map, and did not get an apples to apples comparison.

Now that I've changed one variable (BIOS update), I'll go ahead and try the newest Nvidia driver and see if that makes a difference.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2020
I uninstalled the Nvidia driver using DDU as you recommended, then updated my Nvidia driver to the most recent, which is 456.71.

After troubleshooting in Squad by doing various tests in duplicate (joining/disconnecting servers, rebooting the game without a system reboot, doing a full system reboot), I cannot recreate the issue.

This is looking good.

I'll report back if the issue happens again. Thanks a ton for your help.