My rig:

Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit
Asus P6t Deluxe Motherboard
Intel Core I7 920 at 2.66ghz CPU
XFX GTX 280
Ultra X3 800 watt Power Supply
6GB of Corsair DDR3 at 1600mhz
750GB hard drive

I built my system about 3 months ago, and it has been acting up recently.

Ok so here is my issue. Randomly, my pc will crash in games. The crash happens once and a while, but sometimes it can happen repeatedly, its random. the screen will turn a solid color and a loud repetitive noise will run in the backround. At this point i cannot do anything, and my pc will do this untill i shut it off.(manually with power button)

There is no blue screen on restart, and my Event Viewer shows nothing out of the ordinary.

I have tried 3 different GPU drivers, all with the same result. I have also RMA'ed my GPU, the problem persists.

I ran Memtest on each stick of ram, and it passed every time on each stick.(3 times passed per stick)

I torture tested my CPU, normal temps.

Last night i re-installed windows. I was up untill 4 in the morning trying to get everything installed. Still.... the issue remains.

PLEASE help me, what should i do next? It seems im really un-luckey, and nothing i get ever works! :(

Notes:

I ran my webcam to see what happens when the crash happens, the video stops the second it happens. The whole machine is stalled.

Also it has never froze in Crysis and rarely in CoD4. Most of the crashes happen in Guild Wars, Warhammer Online, and Chronicles of Spellborn.

Please help me. :hello:

Shnur

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
Do you have proper airflow in your case?
Did you manually set the CPU Fan on max?
Set your Graphics fan speed higher (maybe not 100% but 60-70% should be good enough) manually in RivaTuner and try to do this all again.
I personally believe this is a problem with your card overheating and making the system hang.

kryptx101

Distinguished
May 19, 2009

I have a NZXT Tempest with 6 fans, and airflow is good.
I did not change my cpu fan speed, how can i? also will this make my PC louder, by how much?
My GPU is not over heating, it hangs around 65-70c in the games im playing, which is normal. Also even in crysis(where it hits high 70's- 80) it doesnt crash, so it is not this.

It might be over heating, but i see nothing wrong with my temps.

Shnur

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
bios-asus-fan.jpg

You need to turn off the CPU Fan control, that way the fan will run at 100%.
(This is temporal, if you have a stock fan and you have 6 other fans in your PC you will barely notice the sound)

Try with RivaTuner to log your temps for your system (hard drive, cpu, gpu) and come back to it after you have a system crash, you'll see if there's something wrong. (Link to the website, they explain how to do everything)

After you get an idea about the other temperatures, come back.

If everything's good, you should look forward your CPU/board overheating problem (possible damage).

kryptx101

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
My CPU fan control is already off....,my fan is at 2000+rpm(cant remember exact number) and it was 45c on that screen. still dont know how to log temps on rivatuner though.

Last time I saw a problem like this it was the sound card drivers . They were crashing DX9

No telling if this is the cause of your problem but you might as well try it

update your onboard sound , or if you mb support the AC97 codec and HD audio codecs make sure you are using the newer HD one at the rear and front panels

kryptx101

Distinguished
May 19, 2009

i use onboard sound.
Wouldnt that update with bios, if so im using latest bios.

kryptx101

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
My motherboard uses Soundmax audio drivers, and im using the ones from the mobo disc. Where can i get the latest ones? Also i see no HD option

topper743

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
I'm inclined to suspect the PSU. This is a hard one to test for, any chance you have an old PSU to swap and test?

You are saying that for a long time the system ran normally?

Recently the problem started suddenly or gradually? Was there a event that you can remember as before and after such as installing some little app or driver or downloading a joke from a friend?

After reloading all the software the problem persits? Did you install all the latest drivers?

I see that there are 10 bios revisions for the P6T deluxe, I also see that there are three different P6T MBs. Install the latest bios for your model MB.

kryptx101

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
i dont have a psu to swap. Also the problem gets worse randomly.

Sometimes it happens every 5 minutes, then ill update or change something and it wont happen for a week.

wideman55

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I'm no expert by any means but I had a similar issue with a dual core system running Vista 64 and Corsair Ram. Try installing this fix http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929777/en-us If that doesn't work I'd switch that ram to another brand. I've had a couple of strange issues leading back to Corsair Ram. I haven't used any DDR3 but that's my best guess.

kryptx101

Distinguished
May 19, 2009
also im on the latest bios for my mobo, and i cant remember installing anything.

i reloaded all software with latest drivers, and it still exists.

kryptx101

Distinguished
May 19, 2009

i already have service pack 1.
i tried to install it, it says that the update doesnt apply to my system..

Shnur

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
have you tried reseating all your components?
testing with the fewest possible components, maybe you have something that causes an issue with something else.
I'd recommend you get latest drivers from the Asus.com website for your board (especially taken in account you're on a 64-bit system... my drivers from disc failed with a 64-bit system...)
try stressing your GPU and checking the temps, like run a crysis demo looped windowed.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/Crysis-Benchmark-Tool-1.05-Final-download-1791.html

kryptx101

Distinguished
May 19, 2009

What should i re-seat?
I have the latest bios for my motherboard. My GPU is at normal temps for a gtx 280 it idles at 45-50c and in normal games it heats up to 65-70. In crysis it goes high 70's(77,78,79)

Shnur

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
I would go for the CPU mainly... but you'll need new thermal paste if it ends up working (although I've ran an overclocked chip for months without thermal paste and it was just fine).
Also take out and put back your RAM, GPU, Power cords.
Did you got the latest drivers from Asus?