Unable to access drive on HDD

OSH1360

Commendable
Sep 18, 2016
I needed to transfer files from my old laptop to my new desktop

I didn't wanna fart about setting up a network, i didn't see the sense for a 1 time use.

So I purchased a external HDD case, removed the HDD from the laptop, plugged in the sata adapter, and then connected it to my new PC via usb.

New PC recognized the device, did its 'adding new hardware' bit and the showed the device in the files explorer.

2 devices showed up, 1 being a drive for "system temp" which I imagine to be the system partition it creates when installing windows and 2 being a F: drive (mass storage)

I am able to open the system partition file, however it is empty.

When i go to open the F: drive, it tries to open the drive, it takes for ever to load, and once the loading bar has reached 100% it freezes the drive and you are no longer able to navigate the PC. as soon as you disconnected the drive (pull the usb cable out) your able to use the PC as normal.

can anyone suggest as to how i can get to those files on the HDD?

RealBeast

Titan
I would go back the plan that you rejected. Simply connect the new and old computer with an Ethernet cable after giving each a static network address in the same network after disconnecting from any other networks (including wireless) to make it simple. As long as one adapter is gigabit, then you have auto MDIX so any cable will do, no crossover needed. Then transfer the files.

If the files are important, I suggest that you back them up to an additional location not on the new computer.

OSH1360

Commendable
Sep 18, 2016
I should also add to this that the HDD will now no longer boot up in the laptop.

spits an error about boot volume.

i think im totally screwed.

OSH1360

Commendable
Sep 18, 2016
Nope. Not really. It shows the device, as for listing avalable and used up storage it shows nothing.

RealBeast

Titan
Start up the laptop using a Live Linux USB stick (I prefer Mint 32), which you can make for free using THIS tool, and it pretty much will automatically make it for you. Then boot from that USB stick and attach the drive, then in Mint click on the drive to mount it. If it mounts you can copy data to another USB device.

Latest posts