Question Unable to boot after installed M.2 NVMe SSD

btr999

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2013
I just got a Samsung 980 pro Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD but it is blocking my main SATA SSD which Windows 11 was installed on from booting.
Everytime after the BIOS flash screen it gives blue screen error
"Your device ran into a problem and needs to restart. We'll restart for you"
Stop code : System Thread Exception Not Handled."

I am using ROG maximus Hero XI and there are two m.2 slots available. I have tried both slots, swapping sata slots for my main SSD but nothing helped.
Checking Bios setting, it is able to detect my main SATA SSD windows boot manager but I don't see NVMe storage detected.
When I removed m2 SSD, pc is able to boot normally after repairing.
Any suggestion how to fix this?

btr999

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2013
What are sata controller settings in BIOS?
It should be set to AHCI (not Intel RST).

Also check Fast boot settings in BIOS.
Should be set to disabled.
Setting it to AHCI didn't work but disabling Fast Boot allowed me to boot into windows once. However, the drive could not be detected in the file manager. After restarting, it went back to square one and I had to remove the m2 ssd again.

Lutfij

Titan
Did you cross-reference the BIOS version you're on with the support site's BIOS versions? If you're not mistaken and are indeed on BIOS version 0225 with that time stamp, it's not listed on the site, you either have a BIOS version that was unstable or faulty and was removed from the site. Update your BIOS and be sure to follow through Intel's MEI firmware updates mentioned in the BIOS notes as well.

btr999

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2013
Did you cross-reference the BIOS version you're on with the support site's BIOS versions? If you're not mistaken and are indeed on BIOS version 0225 with that time stamp, it's not listed on the site, you either have a BIOS version that was unstable or faulty and was removed from the site. Update your BIOS and be sure to follow through Intel's MEI firmware updates mentioned in the BIOS notes as well.
Managed to update the BIOS version to 1401 and it is still the same.