Question Unable to boot from a newly installed SSD

Jewliagni

Commendable
Mar 29, 2017
Hello there,

I have recently decided to reinstall my computer, since it has been a while since I had done it the last time. I have two SSDs in my PC, a 128GB Kingston SSD and a newer 240GB Kingston SSD. Prior to this, the 128GB SSD was the on which the OS had been installed.

Upon commencing with a clean installation of Win 10, I erased all the data on both of the SSDs and then proceeded to install the OS on the newer 240GB SSD. All seemed fine, however, now everytime I turn on the computer I get asked by Windows which disk I would like to use. Whenever I switch the boot priority in BIOS to the new 240GB disk on which I had installed the OS, I am greeted with the "Reboot and Select proper Boot device" message. So the PC acts as if there was no OS on the SSD. On the other hand, when I keep the BOOT priority on the older 128GB SSD on which there should be no OS, Windows asks me from which SSD I would like to boot and lets me proceed into my account and all is"fine".

So, my question is why cannot I just boot from the new SSD on which I had newly installed the OS? It is also propably worth noting that in BIOS the 240GB SSD does not have the UEFI prefix as the old one does. My guess is that I have probably incorrectly erased the disks and I did not reformat the 240GB disk properly.

If anyone has anything to say regarding this or if anyone is willing to help me in any way, I would be very happy and grateful :) :).

Cheers,

Adam

I would start the install over again. This time delete everything off both disks. Then turn the computer off and unplug the second ssd - leaving only the OS ssd. Install the OS, and verify that you can reboot to the OS. Then plug the other disk in and you should still be able to boot and you can partition and format the secondary ssd.

Jewliagni

Commendable
Mar 29, 2017
I would start the install over again. This time delete everything off both disks. Then turn the computer off and unplug the second ssd - leaving only the OS ssd. Install the OS, and verify that you can reboot to the OS. Then plug the other disk in and you should still be able to boot and you can partition and format the secondary ssd.
Very well then :) Thank you, I will try this.