[SOLVED] Unable to boot from M.2. SSD

DLXGP7

Honorable
Jan 7, 2015
I usually never ask online unless I have to, but this is one of those times so whatever.

The title isn't exactly true, I can technically boot from the drive, but not on its own. Let me explain:

I bought a Samsung 970 EVO M.2. SSD to replace my old SATA SSD which got messed up by some windows updates (not that relevanthere), giving me an opportunity to start fresh again

As I (physically) installed the 970, I noticed my computer didn't recognize it at all. Windows did, but not my motherboard. This was fixed with a BIOS update from my manufacturer's website (I have a Z97 gigabyte motherboard).

Cool! Now the 970 SSD appears, so I go ahead and install Windows on it with all of its mumbo jumbo.

The problem arises when I go into the boot order. I set the 970 SSD as the first boot option, and................nothing good.

I get message displaying
"Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key" which basically means the 970 was not really recognized.

So how am I using Windows? While waiting for the 970 to arrive I connected a hard drive from an old laptop, which contains Windows. This allows me to use Windows Boot manager, which prompts the drive I want to use (the 970 or the old hard drive), counting down 3 seconds until it defaults to opening the Windows in my 970 SSD.

This all means that my computer
  1. cant boot my 970 alone (including fast boot)
  2. depends on the old laptop hard drive to boot my 970 SSD.
I have read elsewhere something about CSM, something about IRST and some drivers to let the motherboard recognize NVMe drives as boot devices instead of just storage.

My hypothesis is that my computer recognizes the 970 as a storage device, but as soon as an instance of Windows is opened (be it from a USB or from my old hard drive disk) it detects Windows installed in the 970 and prompts me to use it.

Regardless, thanks for reading this long post :)and I hope this can be resolved.

Solution
That board has a M.2 socket that supports a PCIe drive, unfortunately this is a bit deceptive. It will only support AHCI PCIe SSDs, not NVMe, for booting. Most likely the BIOS would have to be modded although in some cases NVMe drives with an OpROM may boot via M.2-to-PCIe adapter.
That board has a M.2 socket that supports a PCIe drive, unfortunately this is a bit deceptive. It will only support AHCI PCIe SSDs, not NVMe, for booting. Most likely the BIOS would have to be modded although in some cases NVMe drives with an OpROM may boot via M.2-to-PCIe adapter.

Solution

DLXGP7

Honorable
Jan 7, 2015
Speaking of PCIe and OpRom, I forgot to mention that I didn't just install the card through the M.2. slot in my motherboard, but rather through a PCIe adapter. Also, I have heard that disabling CSM might help to configure the OpRom so to boot from the 970. With what you mentioned, however, I'm not sure anymore.

USAFRet

Titan
Speaking of PCIe and OpRom, I forgot to mention that I didn't just install the card through the M.2. slot in my motherboard, but rather through a PCIe adapter. Also, I have heard that disabling CSM might help to configure the OpRom so to boot from the 970. With what you mentioned, however, I'm not sure anymore.
That is kind of a large consideration.
Many boards of that vintage could not boot from a drive in an adapter like that.

See the above for a possible fix.