Question Unable to boot new build. Absolutely nothing happens.

Oct 3, 2022
I have a new build that won't boot. I'm pretty sure the problem is either the PSU or the motherboard, but I'm not sure how to tell which.

The motherboard is an ASRock B550M Pro4, and the PSU is an EVGA 650 G7.

When I try to boot, usually nothing happens at all. Unless it is the first time I try since the PSU was plugged in, then the CPU fan will spin for less than a second then stop. The post LEDs don't light up at all. I've tried removing components, with no luck. I've done the "paperclip" test on the PSU using an included PSU tester, and the fan does spin. But when I try to boot, it doesn't... I've also tried booting it outside of the case to make sure there wasn't a short from one of the standoffs. No luck.

I tried hooking up the PSU to my old PC, and got similar behavior, except that instead of the CPU fan spinning for a fraction of a second, it is a case fan. That said, I'm not entirely sure that MB is still functional. The PSU is definitely dead, so I can't confirm any other parts still work (the dead PSU is what finally got me to build a new PC).

I'm not really sure how to definitively identify if it is the MB or PSU, so I can know which part I need to return. (or if I'm just doing something wrong). Any suggestions?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

I've done the "paperclip" test on the PSU using an included PSU tester, and the fan does spin.
Paperclip tests don't indicate how much power a PSU can effectively output to your entire build. It's why you're advised to induce a load on one end of the PSU.

EVGA 650 G7
It could be a dud.

Reactions: byte_courier
I'm not really sure how to definitively identify if it is the MB or PSU, so I can know which part I need to return. (or if I'm just doing something wrong). Any suggestions?
Common mistake is that people forget to plug in the cpu power and only connect the motherboard power.
Motherboard-Diagram.jpg

Oct 3, 2022
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard: ASRock B550M Pro4
Ram: G Skill Ripjaws V 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3600
SSD/HDD: 1 513 GB SSD,1 TB HDD
GPU: (using APU from CPU)
PSU:
Chassis: Phanteks Eclipse G360A ATX Mid Tower Case
Monitor: N/A, can't even power on

It's why you're advised to induce a load on one end of the PSU.

How would one do that? Does it require special equipment?

Common mistake is that people forget to plug in the cpu power and only connect the motherboard power.

Nope, I definitely have the CPU power cable plugged in.

Oct 3, 2022
BIOS update to version P1.80 (or later) is required to support this cpu.

Well, I knew that, but I missed that you can't even update the bios with the G series (from what I've found it sounds like 5000 non-g series you can at least flash the new bios). Guess I didn't research it enough :( .

That said:
  1. The sticker on my motherboard says "P2.30", which I think means it has a new enough version of the BIOS.
  2. Even if that was the problem shouldn't the CPU LED on the post status indicator have lit up?

With BIOS version P.2.30 it should be able to boot.

The PSU is definitely dead, so I can't confirm any other parts still work (the dead PSU is what finally got me to build a new PC).
If you're convinced, PSU is dead, then try with a different PSU.

Note - with modular PSUs you can use original PSU cables only.
Do not mix cables from different model modular PSUs or you'll damage your hardware.