Unable to boot newly installed windows 10 from M.2 SSD (Samsung)

Justin Soh

Reputable
Mar 2, 2015
Hi, I have recently purchased a new M.2 SSD 500 gb Samsung. I tried installing windows 10 pro (new) onto it and through many youtube tutorials, it was successful finally. After the installation and the restart countdown, the pc somehow couldnt boot the windows from the M.2 SSD.

I tried:
1. Change the PCi express thing in BIOS from Auto detect to M.2
2. Disabled CSM.
3. Disabled secured boot.

I checked into BIOS, in the boot menu, I couldnt locate the M.2 SSD drive which had the windows installed. I know if I could locate the M.2 SSD here, the whole thing would work! Just somehow I am not familiar with the BIOS.

I am using Asus Maximus Ranger VII motherboard.

I have been trying it for about 4 hours and kept checking on youtube but I have no luck. Appreciate the pros could guide me.

Other useful info:
1. I have unplugged all other drives other than the M.2 SSD and also the USB which contained the windows 10 pro installation.
2. I think following one of the youtube videos to successful install the Windows 10 pro and I needed to tweak the OS from Windows UEFI to "Other OS" in BIOS.

Solution
Hi all, I have already figured the answer. Basically the motherboard wasn't updated to be able to recognize to boot from M.2 SSD. I went to Asus website to get the latest BIOS update (.cap file), install the update from BIOS, then reboot. Then ta-da! M.2 SSD is then able to be bootable.

It made sense as I bought that Asus motherboard back in 2014, that time M.2 SSD wasn't in commercial yet.

Justin Soh

Reputable
Mar 2, 2015
Hi all, I have already figured the answer. Basically the motherboard wasn't updated to be able to recognize to boot from M.2 SSD. I went to Asus website to get the latest BIOS update (.cap file), install the update from BIOS, then reboot. Then ta-da! M.2 SSD is then able to be bootable.

It made sense as I bought that Asus motherboard back in 2014, that time M.2 SSD wasn't in commercial yet.

Solution