[SOLVED] Unable to boot past BIOS

Bannable

Honorable
Jun 13, 2017
So currently I have two PCs as I just got a new motherboard and cpu. One is running an Asus Z370-F with an 8700k and the other is running a Z390 Aorus master with a 9900k. We will call the Asus board system 1 and the aorus board system 2. I have SSD’s, both with windows on them. I have a 240 GB, drive 1, and a 1 TB, drive 2. Drive 2 has a version of windows on it I have been using for about a year now. Drive 1 has a pretty much fresh install of windows, though there are some important things on there. So let’s get into the problem. Whenever drive 1 is installed on its own into system 1, the system doesn’t go past bios. It goes past the logo, and then has a window similar to a cmd pop up with a slashing cursor and then into bios. I have tried using a windows iso to repair, but it found no problems. Whenever I plug drive 2 into system 2, it boots fine. Whenever I plug drive 2 and drive 1 into system 1 or 2, I can boot both of the drives fine into windows. I have tried clearing cmos to fix this problem. I want to be able to boot drive 1 on its own on one of the systems, but I just can’t see how I can or why it won’t work without drive 2. Thanks for the help in advance!

Solution
I'm thinking you might find you have to do a clean install on drive one in system one (make sure drive two is disconnected during the install).

Also, I think you can run into problems trying to boot a Windows install on a machine that it wasn't originally installed on.
I'm thinking you might find you have to do a clean install on drive one in system one (make sure drive two is disconnected during the install).

Also, I think you can run into problems trying to boot a Windows install on a machine that it wasn't originally installed on.

Solution
Sounds like drive 1 doesnt have a Master Boot Record on it, only when drive 2 is introduced does it want to boot.

Did you install windows on drive 1 when another drive was in the computer with an OS on it? If so windows will use that MBR instead of installing one on drive 1.

Bannable

Honorable
Jun 13, 2017
Sounds like drive 1 doesnt have a Master Boot Record on it, only when drive 2 is introduced does it want to boot.

Did you install windows on drive 1 when another drive was in the computer with an OS on it? If so windows will use that MBR instead of installing one on drive 1.
Yes I did install it with drive 1 and 2 installed. I was just getting tired when I was switching my motherboard so I just installed the SATA cables randomly so drive 2 could have been the main drive as well. Is there anyway to fix this problem without reinstalling windows?

Bannable

Honorable
Jun 13, 2017

I wouldn't be completely upset doing this, I would just rather not since it takes me about 40 minutes to go through reinstalling everything and getting things setup.

I wouldn't be completely upset doing this, I would just rather not since it takes me about 40 minutes to go through reinstalling everything and getting things setup.
I don't know if you tried to boot Windows on drive one in another system besides system one.....but if you did....I have seen very strange things happen to/in Windows when you try and do this....which is why I'm suggesting a clean install.

Bannable

Honorable
Jun 13, 2017
I don't know if you tried to boot Windows on drive one in another system besides system one.....but if you did....I have seen very strange things happen to/in Windows when you try and do this....which is why I'm suggesting a clean install.
I haven't booted drive 1 alone in system 2 yet, but I think I may try after I get home from work and I get some of the data off of it just to see if it does anything.