Question Unable to boot PC

T94

Sep 23, 2024
Hey all,

Really hoping someone can help.

I've recently bought a new CPU (Ryzen 7 5700x3d) and upgraded the RAM for my PC, specs are below. I updated the BIOS to the latest version and had the PC boot using the old CPU without any issues. I then completed the CPU swap and put in the new sticks of ram. After installing everything the PC powered on, however wouldn't boot passed the manufacturer screen and I was unable to enter the BIOS.

I did a fair bit of tinkering, reset CMOS, tried reseating ram/using the old RAM to see if any issues but to no avail. The VGA light was lit up on the motherboard but there was no issue at all with the GPU prior to the upgrade. The GPU fans start to spin and then stop. I googled/tried anything I could and decided to purchase another motherboard (MSI b550 tomahawk).

I've flashed the bios using USB flash and then installed everything as usual. I'm now not even getting a manufacturer logo with the new motherboard and the DRAM light is showing (strangely no VGA light now). The GPU fans now power up correctly with seemingly no issues when using this new board. I've tried both sets of old RAM and the new ram and I'm still getting the error and no display at all. All lights are booting up correctly including GPU fans, CPU fans and everything looks to be starting correctly.

Anyone have any idea please?

Old PC specs:
Gigabyte GTX 1060 3gb
Motherboard - Gigabyte Ab350 gaming 3
Ryzen 5 1600
4 x 4gb Corsair vengeance 3000MHz
Cooler master G550m
Samsung 500gb SSD
1TB HD

New specs
Gigabyte GTX 1060 3gb
Motherboard - MSI b550 tomahawk
Ryzen 7 5700x3d
2 x 16gb Corsair vengeance 3200MHz
Cooler master G550m
Samsung 500gb SSD
1TB

Hey all,

Really hoping someone can help.

I've recently bought a new CPU (Ryzen 7 5700x3d) and upgraded the RAM for my PC, specs are below. I updated the BIOS to the latest version and had the PC boot using the old CPU without any issues. I then completed the CPU swap and put in the new sticks of ram. After installing everything the PC powered on, however wouldn't boot passed the manufacturer screen and I was unable to enter the BIOS.

I did a fair bit of tinkering, reset CMOS, tried reseating ram/using the old RAM to see if any issues but to no avail. The VGA light was lit up on the motherboard but there was no issue at all with the GPU prior to the upgrade. The GPU fans start to spin and then stop. I googled/tried anything I could and decided to purchase another motherboard (MSI b550 tomahawk).

I've flashed the bios using USB flash and then installed everything as usual. I'm now not even getting a manufacturer logo with the new motherboard and the DRAM light is showing (strangely no VGA light now). The GPU fans now power up correctly with seemingly no issues when using this new board. I've tried both sets of old RAM and the new ram and I'm still getting the error and no display at all. All lights are booting up correctly including GPU fans, CPU fans and everything looks to be starting correctly.

Anyone have any idea please?

Old PC specs:
Gigabyte GTX 1060 3gb
Motherboard - Gigabyte Ab350 gaming 3
Ryzen 5 1600
4 x 4gb Corsair vengeance 3000MHz
Cooler master G550m
Samsung 500gb SSD
1TB HD

New specs
Gigabyte GTX 1060 3gb
Motherboard - MSI b550 tomahawk
Ryzen 7 5700x3d
Cooler master G550m
Samsung 500gb SSD
1TB
How long are you waiting for after turning on the computer and the DRAM light being on before you turn off the computer?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Cooler master G550m
How old is the PSU in your build?

Are both sticks of ram populating slots A2 and B2?

I've flashed the bios using USB flash and then installed everything as usual.
Just so we're on the same page, you performed what's stated in your motherboard manual;
https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/MAGB550TOMAHAWK.pdf
page 35, titled Updating BIOS with Flash BIOS Button ? If so, did you clear the CMOS after you've verified the BIOS was flashed successfully?

Out of curiosity, how are you cooling the new processor?

T94

Sep 23, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Cooler master G550m
How old is the PSU in your build?

Are both sticks of ram populating slots A2 and B2?

I've flashed the bios using USB flash and then installed everything as usual.
Just so we're on the same page, you performed what's stated in your motherboard manual;
https://download.msi.com/archive/mnu_exe/mb/MAGB550TOMAHAWK.pdf
page 35, titled Updating BIOS with Flash BIOS Button ? If so, did you clear the CMOS after you've verified the BIOS was flashed successfully?

Out of curiosity, how are you cooling the new processor?
Hey & thank you for the reply!

Build is about 7 years old now, maybe closer to 8. I'd had no issues with the PSU prior and wattage wise it should be sufficient based on guidelines.

Yes, correct. Followed the motherboard manual, connected up just to the PSU to start and waiting the allotted time/until the red lights near the flash bios button stoped and indicated all complete. I've done a CMOS reset since as well. Also did this multiple times on the old board (I've just wired everything back up to try the old board again & VGA issue pops up on that board as before). Which is strange as there is no VGA/GPU issue on the new board

I'm still using the old wraith spire at the moment, all powered and running. Have also applied fresh thermal paste to the new CPU

T94

Sep 23, 2024
I've got three pairs of RAM and have tried to boot with a single stick from each pair, so I'm fairly certain that it's not actually the RAM itself causing the DRAM issue. Which is what's confusing me

I've got a new cooler on the way. That shouldn't stop it from booting entirely though, should it?

I've got three pairs of RAM and have tried to boot with a single stick from each pair, so I'm fairly certain that it's not actually the RAM itself causing the DRAM issue. Which is what's confusing me

I've got a new cooler on the way. That shouldn't stop it from booting entirely though, should it?
The cooler shouldn't stop it from booting. At this point it is possible that the motherboard itself is bad.

T94

Sep 23, 2024
Hmm I'm having the same issue with the new motherboard except now rather than a VGA light it's showing a DRAM light and won't even give me any display at all

Hmm I'm having the same issue with the new motherboard except now rather than a VGA light it's showing a DRAM light and won't even give me any display at all
Usually VGA light means something is wrong with the GPU. DRAM light means something is wrong with the RAM. It could be the motherboard or CPU as well. Probably easiest thing to replace first would be a motherboard RMA.

T94

Sep 23, 2024
I've only just purchased the new motherboard is all. And as I'm having issues with both the old and new one it seems to me there is something else going on, considering one motherboard thinks it's a VGA issue and the other says DRAM. Is there any chance a faulty CPU could be causing the inconsistency? Or as someone else mentioned a PSU issue for some reason not getting enough power to one or the other?

I've only just purchased the new motherboard is all. And as I'm having issues with both the old and new one it seems to me there is something else going on, considering one motherboard thinks it's a VGA issue and the other says DRAM. Is there any chance a faulty CPU could be causing the inconsistency? Or as someone else mentioned a PSU issue for some reason not getting enough power to one or the other?
A faulty CPU is not out of the question with your symptoms if you are already on the most up to date BIOS for both motherboards.