Question Unable to boot to Windows after updating BIOS ?

Cferr1992

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
HP Pavilion 15-dk0068wm gaming laptop was running slow. It has a 9th gen i5 with a 1050 graphics card (I know, I know). It is running Windows 11. I went on the HP website and updated the BIOS from version F.20 to F.63. After installing the BIOS update, the PC boots immediately to a system recovery screen (automatic repair tool). Every option I choose from that screen fails.

The options it gives are: Continue (Exit and continue to Windows 10 (makes no sense as the PC is running Windows 11)), Use a device, Troubleshoot, and Turn off PC. I have tried every recovery option and Startup repair and after a minute it just tells me no. The startup repair says can't repair PC. The system restore gives an unspecified error and won't restore.

I tried resetting any settings in the BIOS but that didn't do anything. I'm not sure what to do. There are files on the computer that need recovered. The only thing I can think of is maybe using a USB drive to reinstall Windows while keeping the files intact but I'm not sure if there's an easier option or if that will even work. The option to reset the pc in the automatic repair doesn't work, so how do I know it would work via USB drive? I don't know if it's possible to reflash the old BIOS or if that would even fix the issue. I tried Gooling the BIOS version but couldn't find a download for it and I don't even see a setting in the BIOS to manually update anyway. I'm lost. Any advice would be appreciated.

HP Pavilion 15-dk0068wm gaming laptop was running slow. It has a 9th gen i5 with a 1050 graphics card (I know, I know). It is running Windows 11. I went on the HP website and updated the BIOS from version F.20 to F.63. After installing the BIOS update, the PC boots immediately to a system recovery screen (automatic repair tool). Every option I choose from that screen fails.

The options it gives are: Continue (Exit and continue to Windows 10 (makes no sense as the PC is running Windows 11)), Use a device, Troubleshoot, and Turn off PC. I have tried every recovery option and Startup repair and after a minute it just tells me no. The startup repair says can't repair PC. The system restore gives an unspecified error and won't restore.

I tried resetting any settings in the BIOS but that didn't do anything. I'm not sure what to do. There are files on the computer that need recovered. The only thing I can think of is maybe using a USB drive to reinstall Windows while keeping the files intact but I'm not sure if there's an easier option or if that will even work. The option to reset the pc in the automatic repair doesn't work, so how do I know it would work via USB drive? I don't know if it's possible to reflash the old BIOS or if that would even fix the issue. I tried Gooling the BIOS version but couldn't find a download for it and I don't even see a setting in the BIOS to manually update anyway. I'm lost. Any advice would be appreciated.
When you update BIOS it clears CMOS settings to factory defaults. W11 install defaults require BIOS in UEFI mode (not CSM/Legacy) and TPM enabled.
Windows repair, when started from bootable USB, without loosing programs and files, it works only when started from working but damaged windows, so called "In place upgrade".

Reactions: syfari

Cferr1992

Reputable
Apr 25, 2020
When you update BIOS it clears CMOS settings to factory defaults. W11 install defaults require BIOS in UEFI mode (not CSM/Legacy) and TPM enabled.
Windows repair, when started from bootable USB, without loosing programs and files, it works only when started from working but damaged windows, so called "In place upgrade".

I don't really understand. Are you telling me I should use the windows repair from a USB or that it won't work? What will work?

Aug 15, 2023

Hi, after the update all setting for bios where changed , in this case ,depend how windows is installed on HDD UEFI or legacy ,normal is UEFI , you can go in bios and check settings , you can disable secure boot , and also if TPM enabled you can disable and restart computer and check if boot , or you can take screenshot from bios and I will try to verify them and assist you better , it is like with this bios settings old boot settings is not recognazible by new bios.