Question Unable to boot Win 10 from fresh install

tybarreto34

Commendable
Oct 25, 2018
My friend is building a pc and I offered to install win 10 on his hard drive for him as I have done this a few times. I created a new USB Boot using Win 10 Media Creation Tool. I removed my hhd and installed his and proceeded to boot using the USB. Windows installer pops up. I am able to see his drive as unallocated. I am able to select it and format it then install Win 10 Home. After that the pc restarts where I pull the USB and boot from the hhd but it doesn't. The pc gives an error to install a boot drive or boot media.
When I go into BIOS it is reading his drive in the SATA port it plugged into but its missing from the UEFI boot priority list. I have my Bios set to boot UEFI instead of CSM. I also have it on AHCI instead of raid. The USB installer is FAT32 and the drive is NTFS. Looking at the diskpart list drive it has a * under the GPT column for the drive.
Not to sure what I am doing wrong here. If any one could break it down it would be much appreciated.
Edit- the mobo we are both using is a MSI B450 Tomahawk Max and the drive is a Seagate Barracuda 3tb

USAFRet

Titan
Put the drive in his system and try it again.
Even though you are using the same motherboard, reduce the variables.

Reactions: tybarreto34

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
When you booted from the USB, did you select the [UEFI] Name of USB drive?
If not, you likely installed in legacy mode, which is conflicting with your BIOS settings.

Any particular reason you're not installing directly onto his hardware? All well and good installing an OS for him, but I don't see why you wouldn't just do this on his hardware...

tybarreto34

Commendable
Oct 25, 2018
When you booted from the USB, did you select the [UEFI] Name of USB drive?
If not, you likely installed in legacy mode, which is conflicting with your BIOS settings.

Any particular reason you're not installing directly onto his hardware? All well and good installing an OS for him, but I don't see why you wouldn't just do this on his hardware...
Not sure what you exactly mean but the USB shows in BIOS under UEFI Drives.
We live an hour and a half away and he was waiting on parts. We were going to build this weekend and he sent the drive to me to help speed up the process by having windows and drivers ready to go as we have pretty much the same parts. Only difference in our builds is I have a 1080 and he has a 1070.

tybarreto34

Commendable
Oct 25, 2018
Put the drive in his system and try it again.
Even though you are using the same motherboard, reduce the variables.

Ahh I was just trying to be helpful and speed things up. Will try tomorrow when we build I guess.
Edit- spelling

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Not sure what you exactly mean but the USB shows in BIOS under UEFI Drives.

Quick image from Google.
images

In this example, if you boot from "KingstonDataTraveler" rather than "UEFI: Kingston...", you've installed in Legacy mode.

The USB will appear in a UEFI list, because it contains a UEFI option. Doesn't necessarily mean you selected it..

tybarreto34

Commendable
Oct 25, 2018
Quick image from Google.
images

In this example, if you boot from "KingstonDataTraveler" rather than "UEFI: Kingston...", you've installed in Legacy mode.

The USB will appear in a UEFI list, because it contains a UEFI option. Doesn't necessarily mean you selected it..
Thank you. I will give this a crack tonight.

it doesn't matter if it is the same motherbord it will still be like moving a drive from computer to computer. your friend will still experierience issues down the road because windows wasn't installed on his hardware

you think you are trying to help him by installing windows for him from your PC but you only going to cause problems. especially when it comes to activating windows

tybarreto34

Commendable
Oct 25, 2018
Alright we made plans to do it tonight he was really only missing psu so I brought mine for the night. Same issue persist. On his hardware. Able to boot off the usb. Install but on reset and pulling the USB still get a message to insert a bootable drive.

tybarreto34

Commendable
Oct 25, 2018
it doesn't matter if it is the same motherbord it will still be like moving a drive from computer to computer. your friend will still experierience issues down the road because windows wasn't installed on his hardware

you think you are trying to help him by installing windows for him from your PC but you only going to cause problems. especially when it comes to activating windows
Still having same issues on his hardware. Any solutions?