joezilla29

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016
Asrock 970 Extreme4
AMD FX 8350
GTX 760
Windows 7
One 1TB and one 2TB HDD

I recently performed a clean install of Windows 7 after flashing the BIOS to support my new CPU. Was planning on using the 1TB HDD for OS and games, with the 2TB HDD (brand new) for bulk storage.

After installing some games, I downloaded some 230 Microsoft Windows updates, and installed them. Then it started going through the motions of restarting. After coming back for some time, I noticed it appeared to be stuck in the "Shutting down" screen (has happened numerous times before). I waited for 10 more minutes and then forced it to shut down.

Now I cannot even boot it from CD. Any option I try whether to boot from HDD or Windows 7 CD just results in a black screen with a white dash near the upper left corner (non-blinking).

Reading some forum posts, I think I may have FUBARed my HDD. Must I buy a new one? Is my 2TB spared from this monumental fuck up? Any workarounds to this situation? I have tried clearing the CMOS but the results are the same.

At first I thought my motherboard or video card was ruined, but I highly suspect it is my hard drive. All because I just wanted to go to bed. Any help would be extremely appreciated.

joezilla29

Reputable
Jan 7, 2016
I resolved my issue. The hard drive with the operating system seems to be dead. Don't force shut down on updates, folks. Lesson learned. Anybody know if the hard drive can be repaired? Or would I be better off buying a new one?

TRENDING THREADS