Unable to capture video through S-Video connector

Hi,

I just got my Pinnacle Studio AV/DV 9.

I've played with it, and have been able to capture video
through the composite video input and also through the
Firewire from my DV camcorder.

But, I'm trying connecting the DVD player S-Video output
to the card's S-Video input, and it just won't work.

What bothers me is that about a year ago, I had bought
the Pinnacle Studio AV 8, and the S-Video input did not
work wither (I ended up returning it, given that I wanted
as good quality as possible, so I didn't want to settle
for giving up S-Video). This suggests me that I must
be doing something fundamentally wrong. But I can't
think of anything -- the cable is ok, since it is the
same one I to connect the DVD output to my TV, and the
signal gets to the TV in perfect shape. The card has
no configuration switches/jumpers, and the software
doesn't have any settings or selections specific to
S-Video (you simply choose which input: AV or DV).
The manual simply says: "if you have a video source
device with S-Video capabilities, then you should use
the S-Video input of the card, for increased video
quality" (I'm quoting off the top of my head, but
that was the escence -- it simply says: use S-Video
if you can)

Recording from the DVD through the composite video
cable does work (and I must say, the quality is not
terrible at all); everything else seems to work, but
the S-Video consistently fails to work (consistently
in that this is the second attempt with two different
cards of different models, and in both cases it simply
won't work)

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks,

Carlos

"Carlos Moreno" <moreno_at_mochima_dot_com@xx.xxx> wrote in message
> signal gets to the TV in perfect shape. The card has
> no configuration switches/jumpers, and the software
> doesn't have any settings or selections specific to
> S-Video (you simply choose which input: AV or DV).
> The manual simply says: "if you have a video source
> device with S-Video capabilities, then you should use
> the S-Video input of the card, for increased video
> quality" (I'm quoting off the top of my head, but
> that was the escence -- it simply says: use S-Video
> if you can)

You need to keep looking for the software configuration for the video
source. There should be a selection for s-video/composite. Both are AV
inputs.

>Hi,
>
>I just got my Pinnacle Studio AV/DV 9.
>
>I've played with it, and have been able to capture video
>through the composite video input and also through the
>Firewire from my DV camcorder.
>
>But, I'm trying connecting the DVD player S-Video output
>to the card's S-Video input, and it just won't work.
>
>What bothers me is that about a year ago, I had bought
>the Pinnacle Studio AV 8, and the S-Video input did not
>work wither (I ended up returning it, given that I wanted
>as good quality as possible, so I didn't want to settle
>for giving up S-Video). This suggests me that I must
>be doing something fundamentally wrong. But I can't
>think of anything -- the cable is ok, since it is the
>same one I to connect the DVD output to my TV, and the
>signal gets to the TV in perfect shape. The card has
>no configuration switches/jumpers, and the software
>doesn't have any settings or selections specific to
>S-Video (you simply choose which input: AV or DV).
>The manual simply says: "if you have a video source
>device with S-Video capabilities, then you should use
>the S-Video input of the card, for increased video
>quality" (I'm quoting off the top of my head, but
>that was the escence -- it simply says: use S-Video
>if you can)
>
>Recording from the DVD through the composite video
>cable does work (and I must say, the quality is not
>terrible at all); everything else seems to work, but
>the S-Video consistently fails to work (consistently
>in that this is the second attempt with two different
>cards of different models, and in both cases it simply
>won't work)
>
>Any ideas/suggestions?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Carlos
>--

Ensure your DVD player's output is set to SVideo (many machines output on
composite, SVideo, or component...not all at the same time.)

After launching the capture program on the computer, ensure SVideo input is
selected in the capture software.

FLY135 wrote:

> [...]
>
> You need to keep looking for the software configuration for the video
> source. There should be a selection for s-video/composite. Both are AV
> inputs.

But that's the thing -- I tried one by one each and every menu
selection, and there is only one of them that leads to a tab
with capture settings, and it only has a "Source" pull-down
list containing "Pinnacle AV/DV" and "DV Camcorder - 1394"

I did a screen-capture and put it on my site (it's just
a 25k file):

http://www.mochima.com/tmp/capture_settings.png

(the list was pulled-down at the moment of the screen capture,
showing the items -- and the control that is hidden by the
pulled list is the audio input device)

I was wondering if it would only capture from S-Video given
some combination of other settings or parameters? I can't
think of anything (haven't tried 16:9, but I doubt that
would have anything to do with it)

Anyone that has worked with this card or similar and
succeeded in recording through S-video?

Thanks,

Carlos