Unable To Comment On The News

Dogsnake

Distinguished
The add a comment tab for the Latest News articles does not allow me to reply. Selecting it does nothing. This is only an issue on the Tom's Hardware site, the others (IT Pro, etc.) work as they should.

Solution
Yup, this is an issue with AdBlock. We'd love to fix it, but unfortunately, there's nothing we can do on our end since this is something that AdBlock is choosing to block. Feel free to whitelist us or something ;)

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador

I'm not entirely sure. This is a fairly recent thing, and I don't think the comment system was changed in recent memory. I asked the devs about this about a month or so ago, and they have no idea why AdBlock would be blocking it. They have no intention of messing with things just to allow users to run AdBlock, particularly when we rely on ads for a fair portion of our revenue, and the comments begin functioning normally again once there are a few comments already added to it.

This is an issue with AdBlock, and there's just not much we can do about it. We can't stop you from using it if you'd prefer to browse without ads, but we're not about to overhaul our entire system just to conform to it.

Titillating

Expert
Ambassador
If you click on an Amazon link, sure, data gets collected. Many, many other sites do this as well--it's what happens when you link to Amazon. Hell, data is collected from the moment you open up your browser, even before you visit our site. That's just the nature of the internet, and how digital advertising works. The comments section of our articles have nothing to do with that, but we can't control what AdBlock does. All we can recommend is that you disable it or whitelist us for the purposes of commenting on articles; it only takes a few seconds, and it's easy to turn it back on afterwards.