[SOLVED] Unable to complete windows 10 install in what should be a straight forward situation but isn't

Mar 27, 2020
I recently put together a new PC, 100% new except for my old HDD with windows 10 on it. Windows 10 can see, write to and format the SSD from the HDD. The BIOS can see the SSD. I created two bootable USB's with windows 10 from the MS site and go to do clean installs on the SSD. It goes through writing the files to the SSD and reboots, and then never boots to the SSD. If I leave my HDD in the boot order anywhere, it boots to that past the SSD. It reboots to the USB installer if left in. If I unplug both or remove the HDD from the boot order, the unit cannot find anything to boot to and hangs.

From windows 10 on the HDD I can see the installed files on the SSD from when I tried to do the install. I have tried with two bootable USB's, changed bios settings, made sure the SSD is first to boot to, etc. Samsung and Microsoft are stumped after hours of troubleshooting. I would appreciate any help I can get with this odd issue.

Solution
Redo the install. This time, with ONLY the SSD connected.
As you go through the process, delete ALL existing partitions on it as you continue.

Section II, Step 6 & 7 refer to deleting what is on there.

USAFRet

Titan
Redo the install. This time, with ONLY the SSD connected.
As you go through the process, delete ALL existing partitions on it as you continue.

Section II, Step 6 & 7 refer to deleting what is on there.

Solution
D

Deleted member 14196

Remove the HDD. Boot to your USB stick and install to your SSD. Once the install is finished remove the USB and make sure the SSD boots reliably. Then you can add back in your hard drive and delete windows off of it

Format the SSD during install and let windows create the partitions that it needs

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Are you keeping the HDD installed, regardless of whether it appears in the boot order or not?

The installer may well see the boot partitions on the HDD and not bother installing them onto the SSD.

Disconnect all but the SSD and install to it from the USB. After the first reboot, remove the USB and ensure the "Windows Boot Manager" is set to boot priority #1 in the BIOS.

Mar 27, 2020
I have tried unplugging the HDD once and doing the install from the USB to the SSD. As usual it would reboot, but because I pulled the USB, the computer found no bootable media. Most of the times I did remove it from boot order or leave it behind the SSD, but I did try once with it unplugged with no change. I can try again after work tonight (working from home remote on this unit) and unplug the HDD, try the install from the USB and format the SSD during the install instead of prior and see what happens.

Thanks in advance and will keep you posted.