Question Unable to connect hard drives to Storage Pool

iPenguin02

Reputable
Sep 19, 2014
I can't seem to get my Storage Pool Hard Drives to be detected by Windows Server 2016. PC specs are below. It was working at one point, I had a blackout and was never able to get them to come back up altogether.

I know the cages work, the cables are good, and the cards are good. I've tested everything by moving things around and no more than 2-3 hard drives come up at the same time. I verified that each of the ports on the card is good. Each hard drive is detectable if I don't connect any other at the same time. I've tried to bring them up in different orders and even connecting them to the same SATA card. Nothing. I feel like I've tried everything, at least in regards to troubleshooting the hardware side.

I am open to new ideas that others are using. Even new hardware if needed. My only concern would be to recover the data on the hard drives, about 5TB of data. I'm using the server as a Media/NAS Server to run Plex and Emby and using Hyper-V to run a TOR Server. I do want to be able to access this stuff from outside my home network, which I haven't figured out yet.

My brother gave me the Precision when his company went out of business and bought me a Server key from ebay. I added the network/sata cards, hard drive cages and hard drives myself. I'm by no means an expert at this stuff, its really just a hobby now. I haven't worked in this field since 2016 when I got out of the Marines.

Also I'm using Crashplan to save my data off site, but it never fully backed everything up. Anyone using any other service to back their data up off site?

Dell Precision T3610
  • Xeon E5-1607 v2 @ 3.00 GHz
  • 64 GB RAM
  • 250 SSD (Windows Server 2016)
  • 120 SSD (Hyper-V Tor Server Win 10)
  • I/O Crest 4 Port Gigabit Ethernet Intel i350-AM4 Chipset PCI-E
  • 2 Syba SD-PEX40104 PCI-Express 8-Port Internal SATA 6Gbps Dual Chipset PCI-E
  • 2 Rosewill 3 x 5.25-Inch to 4 x 3.5-Inch Hot-swap SATAIII/SAS Hard Disk Drive Cage

Each hard drive cage has 1 3 TB HDD and 2 4TB HDD. Each cage is connected to its own Sata card.

TRENDING THREADS