[SOLVED] Unable to connect to some games after latest Win update

Jun 30, 2021
So this week I replaced my SSD and installed a new game (Elder Scrolls Online) which I played for all of two days before the Windows update from 1-2 nights ago started causing problems.

I will not bore you with the game's error codes, but basically, I can log into the character select screen (i.e. my connection to the server is there) but I cannot load into the game world. I tried all of the possible workarounds and fixes including updating my drivers, a power cycle on my router and a DNS flush. None of it worked.

I am posting on the Win10 forums because I tried logging onto Diablo 2, and that gave me a similar problem, so I'm thinking Windows is the culprit, since it's definitely not just ESO. That said, Path of Exile and League of Legends worked fine.

Has anyone had similar problems with the updates from July 7th (Security Update and Servicing Stack 10.0.19041.1081)? I'm fairly certain one of those is at fault. Please help.

P.S. I have firewall exceptions for both games and tried turning off the firewall but the problem persists. Any clues?

Solution
Can you explain to me how a reinstall of one game will fix the issue for two out of the four games I mentioned?
unless you've altered something else within the system that may affect connecting to certain servers,
what else would you imagine would be causing two out of four games to all of a sudden not connect
besides some of their files being corrupted or overwritten?
even if it is because of an OS update.

and i didn't state, "one game".
i stated, "reinstalling the games and their clients."
which is the very first thing that is recommended when visiting most game's customer support.
Can you explain to me how a reinstall of one game will fix the issue for two out of the four games I mentioned?
unless you've altered something else within the system that may affect connecting to certain servers,
what else would you imagine would be causing two out of four games to all of a sudden not connect

and i didn't state, "one game".
i stated, "reinstalling the games and their clients."
which is the very first thing that is recommended when visiting most game's customer support.

Solution
Jun 30, 2021
Did you clone the old drive or a fresh install of Windows 10?

I only update Windows 10 manually and wait to see if the update is stable. Microsoft is famous for making mistakes by releasing beta software and let their customers find problems for them.

I cloned the drive using Samsung's Data Migration software (thanks to a friendly user [USAFRet] who suggested I try that instead of Macrium Reflect), and yes, I totally agree with what you say about MS wanting to make its users be its employees. Nothing new there, though...

Out of the two updates that downloaded on July 7th, only one of them could be uninstalled. The other of the two, the Servicing Stack, can't be uninstalled. What's worse is I forgot to pause automatic updates, so when I restarted, Windows installed the Security Update again and now it won't let me uninstall it. The Uninstall button is there, but when I click it, it just hangs.

Windows.

you seem to be arguing a fact here that doesn't exist.
"even if it is because of an OS update."
would mean that the issue may be caused by the update.
but the only way to repair\replace those files would be to reinstall the games and their clients.

what kind of "fix" are you hoping for? someone to have some magic Windows setting that was affected by the update that you can alter?
or someone to just affirm that "yes, this Windows update has ruined these games forever and you will never be able to connect again!"

Jun 30, 2021
you seem to be arguing a fact here that doesn't exist.
"even if it is because of an OS update."
would mean that the issue may be caused by the update.
but the only way to repair\replace those files would be to reinstall the games and their clients.

what kind of "fix" are you hoping for? someone to have some magic Windows setting that was affected by the update that you can alter?
or someone to just affirm that "yes, this Windows update has ruined these games forever and you will never be able to connect again!"

Remember to never wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty but the pig likes it.

Jul 29, 2021
[/QUOTE]
I'm not sure if this will help you or not but I had to rollback my nvidia driver as microsoft reinstalled their version and everything got screwed up. This fixed my issues which were similar.