Unable to connect to wireless networks after installing graphics card drivers

angusg96

Commendable
Oct 28, 2016
Hi, I've been having a major problem connecting to the internet over the past week.

Relevant specs:

Wireless Network Adapter: - TP-Link WDN4800 Dual-Band PCIe

Router: - Standard Sky Hub

Graphics card: - Zotac GeForce GTX 970

This problem first started last week on Windows 10. I had just installed Ubuntu onto a completely separate hard drive (Although I am unsure if the problem is even related to this now), later that day when I first tried to boot back into windows since the installation, I was unable to connect to WiFi.

All networks in range were visible as before, however when attempting to connect to any of them, it would load for a bit and then say "Unable to connect to <Network Name>".

However, if I boot into Ubuntu, I was able to connect to my home network absolutely fine, no problems whatsoever, on top of this, In Safe Mode with Networking I was also able to connect just fine.

I firstly tried to install different Network adpater drivers on Windows. My network adapter uses the Qualcomm Atheros A938x chipset so I tried several different versions of drivers for the A938x. I also tried reinstalling the TP-Link drivers that came with my network adapter, all did not work on windows 10.

At this stage i decided I would try and reinstall windows, as this problem had been going on for several days and I really needed to be able to connect to the internet. So I wiped my windows drive and completely fresh installed Windows 7 instead of 10 (10 was giving me too much of a headache in other ways and I was eliminating it as the root of the problem).

Once I had a clean install of Windows 7, I installed the network drivers (The windows7 64bit version for my card taken from TP-Link website), and lo and behold, it worked! I connected to the internet.

At this stage I thought my problem was solved however after installing NVIDIA GeForce experience, installing the latest drivers for my GTX 970, and restarting my PC, the exact same problem was back, After clicking on a WiFi network and clicking connect, it would load for a short time and then say "Unable to connect to <Network Name>".

The MOMENT I go to device manager and click uninstall on my Graphics card drivers, the internet works again, instantly, I simply press uninstall, then connect to my network and it works.

I completely uninstalled GeForce experience and everything else on my system so that there was absolutely nothing installed, (back to the state it is in right after first installing windows).

I then tried to install standalone Nvidia drivers for my 970, I unchecked every option (3D vision, audio, etc) EXCEPT graphics drivers. Then I would install them, the pc would restart and from that moment until I uninstalled the drivers again, I would not be able to connect to the internet (Even though I can clearly see all the networks near me).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
SUMMARY/THINGS I HAVE TRIED/THINGS OF NOTE
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Summary of my current problem:

Every time I install graphics drivers for my GTX 970, I am then unable to connect to the internet, despite being able to see all wireless networks in range.

If I run in safe mode with networking, I have 0 problems connecting to the internet.

If I then uninstall those drivers I can INSTANTLY then connect to the internet.

On Ubuntu (installed on a completely separate hard drive) I have 0 problems connecting to the internet.

Things I have tried to fix the problem:
- Resetting my Sky Hub, and unplugging/replugging it.
- Connecting to my Android Phone's hotspot (This does not work either).
- Re-installing network adapter drivers, including trying several different versions.
- Un-plugging my network adapter and plugging it back in.
- Several Command Prompt commands, ipconfig /release, renew; netsh winsock reset, netsh int ip reset. (All these commands i tried several times during the entire process, never worked).
- Uninstalling Windows 10 and Installing a fresh copy of Windows 7.
- Trying standalone drivers for my 970, including old versions.

Things of note:

When I was still on Windows 10, on occasion, a network called BT-WiFi with FON would appear in range. This was an open network and my computer would be ABLE to connect to it, even though it would be unable to connect to my Phone's hotspot or my home network. (I was not ALWAYS able to connect to this, just sometimes).

There was one time while on Windows 10 that I was able to connect to my router + my hotspot, however on the next reboot I was no longer able to.

My network card is only 1 year old and has been working fine with absolutely no problems for that year, up until last week.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read all of this and I hope someone can help me with my problem!

angusg96

Commendable
Oct 28, 2016

I think I'm going to get a new Wifi Adapter first to ensure that it isn't the problem, given it is a lot cheaper than a motherboard. My motherboard is only 2 months old as well.

angusg96

Commendable
Oct 28, 2016

Ah sorry I misunderstood, I went and tried that but it didn't make a difference.

A new WiFi adapter came today and I put that in and the problem is now sorted! Perhaps this should've been the first thing i did! Ah well, at least I now have a fresh install of windows. Thank you for taking the time to try and help me.

Aug 19, 2018
This happened to me as well. In my case it turns out that the 1 of the 2 tiny wires that connects to the WiFi module on the mother disconnected when I was tucking the wires away to fit the new card. I was receiving errors such as: "Firewall causing issues" and "Network Cable unplugged". Once plugged that wire back in; all was well. Easy to reconnect. I believe it was an antenna wire. Hope it helps someone.