[SOLVED] Unable to connect WIFI after installing new motherboard, but fine with mobile hotspot ?

Jun 30, 2021
Hello!

The Issue:

I just installed brand new CPU and Motherboard to my PC from:
CPU i7-6700K LGA 1151 with motherboard ASUS ROG MAXIMUS HERO VIII
into:
CPU i7-11700K LGA 1200 with motherboard ASUS ROG STRIX Z590-E GAMING WIFI

Since I installed brand new CPU and Motherboard, I’m not able to connect my home wifi ever again. I have tried numerous solutions, including:
  • Updating Drivers
  • Uninstalling Drivers
  • Resetting network settings
  • Resetting network settings via CMDs
  • Forget network and connect again
  • Wifi password is not a problem (just to mentioned)
  • Windows troubleshooter
  • Follow several guidelines from Youtube and Forum
  • And many more...
p/s:
  • My PC connected to Mobile Hotspot just fine, ISSUE here is on wifi connection
  • WIFI connection accessible by other devices without problem. Phones, iPad, laptops all using the same wifi network, being in the same room as the PC
  • Even my older system (mentioned above) connected to the same Wifi just fine
  • I noticed on every boot up my PC, it connects to the Wifi for a few seconds before disconnected automatically. When try manually connect to the Wifi, it says ‘unable to connect the wifi’
  • I mentioned the specs above as my new motherboard comes with Wifi 6 built-in. As previous motherboard, I have Wifi 5 with ASUS TP-Link installed to the motherboard.
  • I tried use different antenna (new motherboard comes with new antenna), both new and older antennas tried also didn’t work
How should I solve this issue and get wifi access back on my PC without using an Ethernet? As I have to make sure my brand new motherboard doesn’t have any problem as there still have warranty if anything gone wrong. ANY help is appreciated. Thank you!

Solution
I think that it's great you have a clean install of Windows on there.
I would assume there is a MB wifi driver...and I would assume that if you installed that....after a clean Windows install.....it should work.
Is that what you did?
If so I might contact Asus.
I didn't see any mention of a clean Windows install.
Did you do a clean Windows install with the new MB?
If not.....do one.....and only have the drive connected (one drive) that you intend to do the install to. Don't have any other drives connected. Power down when connecting and disconnecting drives.

Jun 30, 2021
I didn't see any mention of a clean Windows install.
Did you do a clean Windows install with the new MB?
If not.....do one.....and only have the drive connected (one drive) that you intend to do the install to. Don't have any other drives connected. Power down when connecting and disconnecting drives.

Didn’t know that clean Windows install is a must after replacing MB. Thanks for the info. I will do it tonight and update 👍🏻

Jun 30, 2021
Yes.....as if you don't....the Windows from the other system is expecting the hardware it had it in the other system....and this can cause problems....if it not immediately....down the road.

I have installed new clean Windows, unfortunately it didn’t work as well. All drivers has been installed properly. Connects only to the Mobile Hotspot. Is it any consequences that my brand new MB got problem? Or the Wifi-6 has any effect towards this issue?

I think that it's great you have a clean install of Windows on there.
I would assume there is a MB wifi driver...and I would assume that if you installed that....after a clean Windows install.....it should work.
Is that what you did?
If so I might contact Asus.

Solution