[SOLVED] Unable to control brightness on a Acer AL1916W

eternalabys

Reputable
Nov 8, 2018
Hello everyone,

First off, yes, I know the display is almost 15 years old, but ever since I built my new PC 6 months ago, I've had this problem, I can't really buy a new monitor right now considering that I have literally no money, (and the current world epidemic has made it near impossible to get a job for me) no amount of looking on google for a clue on how to fix this issue has helped and my eye sight has gotten worse considering I have to use my computer during the day next to a window while the screen is barely producing 75 Nits of light and it's gotten quite annoying.

PC Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 3 3200G
Motherboard: AsRock B450M Pro4
RAM: Patriot Viper Steel 3200MHz CL16 2x8GB kit
SSD: AData XPG 8200 PRO 512GB
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM
GPU: Onboard Vega 8 Graphics
PSU: Corsair TXM 550W
Case: Cougar MX330

There might be a lack of compatibility between my CPU's iGPU or maybe a bad cable (that used to work absolutely fine on my old system), I have honestly tried every "registry fix" and "software fix" out there and nothing has helped, if anybody has any ideas on how I could possibly fix this apart from buying a new monitor than please do cause I am at my wits end.

Solution
Welp, I figured out at least partly why I can't adjust brightness on my monitor, It's because AMD have brainless monkeys as a driver development team that still don't know how to fix a 6 year old issue with their own hardware and software.

Lutfij

Titan
In order to rule out a compatibility issue, you're advised to make sure you're on the latest BIOS update. Check and see which version you're on right now for your motherboard and if you have any versions pending. If you have a number of them, gradually work your way up to the latest, taking note of the version change and the need for certain driver installs in between.

Also, install all drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Doesn't your panel have buttons to allow you to manipulate the brightness, contrast and color of the panel?

eternalabys

Reputable
Nov 8, 2018
In order to rule out a compatibility issue, you're advised to make sure you're on the latest BIOS update. Check and see which version you're on right now for your motherboard and if you have any versions pending. If you have a number of them, gradually work your way up to the latest, taking note of the version change and the need for certain driver installs in between.

Also, install all drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Doesn't your panel have buttons to allow you to manipulate the brightness, contrast and color of the panel?

My motherboard already has the latest version of BIOS, and I don't think BIOS would have anything to do with my monitor brightness issues, and yes my monitor does have options for turning up the brightness on it but it's already always at 100% and, like I said, is only producing around 75 Nits of brightness.

eternalabys

Reputable
Nov 8, 2018
Welp, I figured out at least partly why I can't adjust brightness on my monitor, It's because AMD have brainless monkeys as a driver development team that still don't know how to fix a 6 year old issue with their own hardware and software.

Solution